Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Official Discussion Thread for "Battlemaster's Corner - Blue Flame Battlemage"

ZOS_JasonLeavey
ZOS_JasonLeavey
✭✭✭✭✭
This is the official discussion thread for the web article "Battlemaster's Corner - Blue Flame Battlemage." Check out this stave-wielding Dragonknight build!

If you'd like to be featured in a future Battlemaster's Corner, submit your own build to us at community@elderscrollsonline.com!
Edited by ZOS_JasonLeavey on September 29, 2014 3:01PM
Jason Leavey
Community Coordinator - The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited
Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
Staff Post
  • Taresgos
    Taresgos
    ✭✭✭
    nice article from past in a galaxy far, far away... when resto staff had +10% dmg...
    Edited by Taresgos on September 29, 2014 6:52PM
    Grand Overlord (since february 2016)
    Thornblade (r.i.p.) Emperor x3
    Azura's star Emperor x18
    Haderus Emperor x2
    EU Aldmeri sorcerer
  • Moonclaw
    Moonclaw
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure how magelight helps here since I thought it only added critical % chance to "spells" Are DK skills counted as spells ?
  • guybrushtb16_ESO
    guybrushtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Moonclaw wrote: »
    Not sure how magelight helps here since I thought it only added critical % chance to "spells" Are DK skills counted as spells ?

All class abilities are considered spells.

Regarding the build, most of it is pretty standard DK firemage stuff, with some weird choices standing out:

1. ... shooting star? There is practically no situation in which this would be advisable over banner, so personally, I'd either take something with another function entirely, or flawless dawnbreaker for a passive boost.
    2. magelight on one bar only means it will fall off when you switch bars, which is generally very annoying.
    3. 2 heavy does cost sustained magicka. It's manageable, but for general pve I'd probably focus more on dps and go all light.
  • Moonclaw
    Moonclaw
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting... I now need to work on levelling magelight on my nightblade !
  • xillix666
    xillix666
    ✭✭
    I think the team that releases these builds should take a look at the patch notes.
    Taresgos wrote: »
    nice article from past in a galaxy far, far away... when resto staff had +10% dmg...

Also, I agree with the above poster, having magelight on one bar is also a fail, needs to be on both to take advantage of that skill. It will greatly increase your crit chance on all your heals.

Edit: I really like your RP intro to your character, BUT there is also a typo that's killing me" singes" should be sings, as I am singing in the rain.
    Edited by xillix666 on September 30, 2014 6:29AM
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    Moonclaw wrote: »

Not bashing you personally, you just said something that is common.

The community as a whole truly needs to understand that unless it is a weapon attack except for the staves, everything is a spell. Class abilities especially. Which means Magicka is used for probably 88% of all the abilities that we have. I just made that number up, but I will stand by its intent.
  • Oolou
    Oolou
    ✭✭✭
    Have to say, I did smile and shake my head to see this build, which recommends using restoration staffs for their damage passive, being chosen for the battlemaster's corner. C'mon, Zenimax - are you trying to shoot yourself in the foot here?
  • VycDarkshadow
    VycDarkshadow
    ✭✭✭
    Too bad the 10% damage buff doesn't exist anymore...
    Vyc Ðarkshådøw
  • tordr86b16_ESO
    tordr86b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This looks like a scalding rune build gone wrong. This build is much better: Link.
    Edited by tordr86b16_ESO on October 2, 2014 8:58PM
  • Remmo
    Remmo
    ✭✭
    I tested the build in PvE at V3 for a few days, swapping in and out the sideboard skills as recommended. Personally, I hate staffs and especially the insipid whirl whirl of the resto staff but I'm always up for having my mind changed o:) I should also point out that I tested it without the recommended armour sets. Couldn't slot Meteor as I'm only at 9.5 in mage guild.
    Personal Pros:
    >Despite the recent loss of the 10% dam buff it was still certainly a lot of fun to play and required full attention to keep yourself alive when facing 3(+) mobs.
    >It's nice to always be ready with a heal for passing players with no clunky weapon swap worries.
    >I got to test out skills that are still powerful but haven't used before - such as Igneous shield and Cinder Storm.
    Personal Cons:
    >I died . . . a lot :) But then I am a complete numbty at trying to land the rune exactly where I want it in the middle of a heated and mobile combat, so the fault there lies squarely with me.
    >Takes considerably longer to burn down mobs. Feels a bit like hitting somebody with a cotton bud. But again, all weapons, even cotton buds, have their place in the arsenal of war.
    All things considered:
    If you like resto staff then it's an interesting (and welcome) departure from the usual DK builds. You won't be top of the uber crew, but if you like experimenting and trying something different then it's well worth a few K gold to see if you like it. However, personally I'm now safely back spinning through the landscape with my duel wield beserking DK (*) B) (*)

Many thanks to @inflatable_fish for sharing your build. I'd be interested to know if he/she still plays the build after the recent resto changes?
  • Sigerk
    Sigerk
    ✭✭✭
    xillix666 wrote: »
    I think the team that releases these builds should take a look at the patch notes.
    Taresgos wrote: »

Also, I agree with the above poster, having magelight on one bar is also a fail, needs to be on both to take advantage of that skill. It will greatly increase your crit chance on all your heals.

Edit: I really like your RP intro to your character, BUT there is also a typo that's killing me" singes" should be sings, as I am singing in the rain.

I think its meant having this definition:

Singe/Singes: To burn superficially; scorch.
    :)
  • Chesimac
    Chesimac
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn't it be better, if you're looking for a second ultimate, to slot barrier? Waaay better ultimate for a healing slot and it also costs 250 ultimate, so it has the same battle roar effect as meteour
  • Xeniph
    Xeniph
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, not all class skills are considered "spells" for the purpose of crit. Lets take for example Flame Lash ( I understand it's not in this build). Flame Lash goes against a targets armor rating and not his spell resistance. Thus it's crit chance is increased with weapon crit and not spell.

There are other examples, and for all classes as well.

It comes down to this:

If the ability is mitigated by armor - It uses weapon crit.

If the ability is mitigated by resists - It uses spell crit.

Regardless of what pool it's max damage scales from. (Feel free to test this for yourself)
    Here since Beta.

Characters: All of them, both Stamina and Magicka.
  • Davide90
    Davide90
    Soul Shriven
    I can't find how the blue flames you see in the picture can be done. Someone can explain?
  • Chesimac
    Chesimac
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lol its seems all these threads are dead within an hour of the battlemaster corner being released