The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Usernames with accents not working; not able to interact with people with accents

jackmcclareb16_ESO
Hey!

It's come to my attention in the most recent patch that player names with accents; e.g áéúíó any of those characters in the name will make the name be "not found" when trying to whisper, invite, etc.

It's making playing with friends hell right now.

Is there a hotfix planned for tomorrow/sometime this week to fix these minor bugs?
Crafting bugs etc
We have contacted our Customer support team to help you solve your issue.
  • Natjur
    Natjur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They adds filters to disable some special chars in chat (as it was causing issues) but the forgot to exclude áéúíó from the filters
  • ZOS_PierreL
    ZOS_PierreL
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hello all,

Our team is aware of this issue and currently investigating.
    We will keep you informed and notify you as soon as we have more information.

Thank you for your patience.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited Social Team - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • Shivlar
    Shivlar
    ✭✭
    I'm getting this too cant get invite to a group and people cant whisper me pretty nasty when your trying to get to Vr14.I really hope there's a fix soon, Last patch i
    had the guild bug and couldn't log on at all for five days until a player came up with a solution of changing the language to German , I really hope this isn't another one of those :(.
  • ZOS_TristanK
    ZOS_TristanK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To help us investigate this issue more quickly, can you folks please send us a private message here with your character name and what server you're on?
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • jackmcclareb16_ESO
    Alright I'll do that now :D
  • curlyqloub14_ESO
    curlyqloub14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lol really? Two ZoS replies on this thread? This issue has been around since beta. I mean, I'd love to get a fix, seeing as no one has ever been able to /whisper me at my @UserID, just think it's funny that suddenly this is getting attention after almost a year now.

We'll see if it actually gets fixed.
  • jackmcclareb16_ESO
    Lol really? Two ZoS replies on this thread? This issue has been around since beta. I mean, I'd love to get a fix, seeing as no one has ever been able to /whisper me at my @UserID, just think it's funny that suddenly this is getting attention after almost a year now.

We'll see if it actually gets fixed.

I've never had this issue at all
  • ZazikelsShadow
    ZazikelsShadow
    ✭✭✭
    I ended up just having my username changed, solved the problem a lot quicker
  • Majia
    Majia
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had never had this issue until the patch.
    @ZOS_TristanK‌ So yes: i have this now too with one of my chars. You got mail with name and Server.
    Edited by Majia on September 18, 2014 3:30PM
    Amélie Kara - Magicka Templer - PC EU
    Makellose Eroberin - Die Entfesselte - Geistschlächterin

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." (Terry Pratchett)
  • stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every person insisting on using anything but the English alphabet deserves to be punished. Accents and diacriticals cause nothing but trouble for programmers, and their use should be outlawed. The letters A through Z ought to be enough for anyone who wants to use a computer. We should be glad we have lower case letters.

Why insist on picking a name like "Wilderbär", "Héloïse" or "Flädermössan" when you could be named "adasdsda" or "qwdasd"?
  • Rogallaig
    Rogallaig
    ✭✭
    I assume this is related: last night I was unable to whisper to a guildmate who has a hyphenated username. I don't know him personally (its a large trade guild) so I can't easily reproduce the error. It was something like @john-hopkins, with no other special character. I kept gettings "user not found" system errors, even though I was right-clicking on his username in chat and selecting whisper/tell.
  • ZOS_TristanK
    ZOS_TristanK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sending along your messages, all! One more bit of information that will be helpful (and we know this seems like a bit obvious) is if your status is set to Online. To double check this, head to your Social tab (default keybinding: O) and look at the icon next to your user name.
    Staff Post
  • jackmcclareb16_ESO
    Thanks for sending along your messages, all! One more bit of information that will be helpful (and we know this seems like a bit obvious) is if your status is set to Online. To double check this, head to your Social tab (default keybinding: O) and look at the icon next to your user name.

First thing I checked when it started, status has always been online

• Majia
    Majia
    ✭✭✭✭
    Status is "online" and haven't changed since weeks

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." (Terry Pratchett)
  • Majia
    Majia
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tested around a little bit. Invite with command "\invite @accountname" works for me.

• daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have this issue since the 1.4 patch or the hotfix issued a couple of days later. I left CS an in-game ticket and was contacted today by a game master. Let's say I'm less than impressed - or pleased - with the response.

Credit where it's due, CS *did* contact me in-game about the issue. That's appreciated. But I was then politely informed that my character name Náredhel contains "special" characters, and would I be OK with changing the name so it no longer contains any. This attitude is extremely aggravating because:

1. This is and has always been my character name in ESO since before pre-launch, and never before have I had problems with invites/whispers;
    2. Regardless, ESO is a global MMO, and I play on the European server, based in the EU, where most languages (maybe all except for English) have accented characters. Accented characters are *not* special characters. They are letters, same as the rest, and it should be trivial to support them on a European server of a global game.
    3. As for the name change solution, I have been Náredhel in too many games to count. I gave myself that name decades ago. It means something to me. Strange that someone would be attached to one's own name in an RPG, right? Go figure...

I'm posting this because I fear ZOS are trying to take the easy route and merely offer character name changes to affected people. This, for me, is unacceptable for the reasons stated above. ZOS broke something that worked (again) and it's on them to fix it.

I would appreciate if someone from CS could confirm if an actual solution is being looked into, and when we can expect it to be issued. Until then, I'll just have to advertise my account name to everyone so they can whisper me or invite me to groups, which in my experience has negatively affected my ability to find them, at least in Craglorn.
  • curlyqloub14_ESO
    curlyqloub14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I ended up just having my username changed, solved the problem a lot quicker

I'd love to know how you got them to do that. I sent many many requests to change my @UserId when I first realized what the problem was. Rarely did I get a response, and when I did, they told me it wasn't allowed because it's related to your account and it's a security issue, and they flat out said they would not change my @UserId.

Yes, my status is online, it has always been. I didn't even realize you could change this until about a week ago.
    Edited by curlyqloub14_ESO on September 23, 2014 7:07PM
  • Ashtaris
    Ashtaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    We have some relatives we like to run around and group with but she also has a accent on her name and this current bug makes it much more difficult. We can invite her to group using her account name, but anything that you try using the F (interact) key doesn't seem to work since the last patch. And just to let you know, we made sure she was set as being online.
  • stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once again, we see the effect of trying to develop complex software while skimping on documentation, test procedures and quality assurance. It simply doesn't work.

ZOS developers and their management need to wake up and realize that they are not superhero coders. They need structure to do their job properly, like everybody else who works in software development. It is sad and frustrating to see the kind of mistakes they keep making, and the time it takes to fix them.
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's now been one week and this problem still isn't fixed. Are we going to have to wait for a month like when ZOS' security fixes brought down the fps in Cyrodiil? A large number of players are being locked out of groups because of this. Wake up, devs!
  • ZOS_TristanK
    ZOS_TristanK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We wanted to follow up with you folks in this thread to let you know that we've identified a workaround for this issue. We've made tickets for those of you who specified that you couldn't receive whispers or invites in this thread and Support will be reaching out via email to help.

For anyone who is still encountering this issue and has not created a ticket already, please post in [url=" http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/133049/my-character-is-not-found-by-anyone-else#latest"]this more active thread[/url] so that we can put you in touch with Support. Thanks for your patience!
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.