The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

3D printed articulated Skyrim/ESO inspired action figure(s).

Strangefate
Large patch so I'll spend my ESO allotted time in the forum, for a bit...

I've been designing action figures (and accessories) that can be 3D printed online, assembled and painted for a while now. Coming up with a simple snap fit or.. plug and play (?) joint system that didn't require any glue, major tinkering and worked with what's currently 3D printable was an interesting and fun challenge.

As a Skyrim / ES fan I'll be doing a few inspired characters as well as some TESO NPCs down the road like Queen Ayrenn and some males as soon as a finish a base male body.

So far I've done a female, geared after a Skyrim character (after many gear mods).
She has a mix of Skyrim gear (bone bow, iron 2 hander, ...forgot what the quiver was, and an iron (I think) 1 handed sword.
Backpack was modelled after some of the Skyrim backpack mods too.
Gear is all swappable.

Anyway, hope you like it.

The Skyrim in game reference for her:
2012-11-23_00003.jpg

The 3D model on the right and the final 3D printed and painted figure on the left, she fits in with regular 7 inch figures:
WB-MAR_1952.jpg

Some of her gear and misc shots of the finished figure:
WB-MAR_1945.jpg
WB-MAR_1962.jpg
WB-MAR_1911.jpg
WB-MAR_1974.jpg
WB-MAR_1927.jpg
WB-MAR_1985.jpg
WB-MAR_1894.jpg

Currently I'm working on some articulated skeletons, looking forward to do some draugr and ESO skeletons reusing the same base.
So far he's reusing the Skyrim Iron boots from the girl above and I added the Iron shoulder pads. Also burning through a plethora of ESO inspired shields and weapons for them.

Doing the gear is the easy part, getting the articulation right is the slow part... still tinkering with tweaks to it atm.

ShieldWip2a.jpg

You can see some of the other 3D printed figures and accessories on pinterest if interested: http://www.pinterest.com/strangefate1/custom-3d-printed-action-figures-and-accessories/

Edited by Strangefate on August 5, 2014 1:07AM
  • AltDeLeet
    AltDeLeet
    ✭✭
    Awesome work, Strangefate! What applications and printers are you using for the design, print, and painting? Do you have a site with some samples of the stuff you've created? Love it!
  • Fuzzylumpkins
    Fuzzylumpkins
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nice figs. Shame they are based on this game.
  • Strangefate
    Thanks Adamanteum!

Everything is created in modo and printed online through shapeways.
    I've started a little shop there for everything I have: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/Strangefate

The printers will depend on the material you select to have things printed in. The common (and cheaper) plastic that's used the most for the figures is powder based which usually means more expensive printers.

For painting I just use cheap acrylics and a Krylon spray finish. The powder based plastic is not completely water tight and will absorb some of the paint, which makes it rather hard to scratch after a while.

I put anything I do or find online using my stuff on pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/strangefate1/custom-3d-printed-action-figures-and-accessories/
  • AltDeLeet
    AltDeLeet
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the info! I love the superhero figurines on your Pinterest site too. Gamora looks awesome. I just signed up for and followed you on Pinterest and will definitely keep an eye out for more great designs. I'd love to pick your brain sometime regarding your creations!
  • xxslam48xxb14_ESO
    xxslam48xxb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool, I wish bethesda or zenimax would do something official like this. Instead the only merchandise they sell is $200 aluminum versions of art I can print off my computer.........
    I wrote a poem that I titled, "The ganker's delight."

As you lay upon the ground, cry not little pawn.
    The pain will pass as quickly as my blade did take you,
    but my delight will last and you will respawn.
    My heart simply cannot contain my joy, when I ply my trade.

The fault lies with you, your skill was lacking.
    Now your salt is mine forever, can't you hear the laughing?
    Once you were so proud and now you are reduced to this.
    A miserable, loud deuced fool.

With every tear you drip, with every excuse you let slip.
    All of your insecurities and worries bring a smile to my lip.
    From your despair I have ripped endless glories,
    but our affair is over now. Be afraid for I will return for more.

I have received many titles, to my allies I am The sniper Emperor and Grand champion hero of the Pact. However these titles mean little to me, it is the ones given to me by my victims that I prefer. To them I am "Xv1er", "trash", "no balls", "zerger", "noob", "cringe", "no skill", "camper", "100% new", "the reason this game is dying", "pathetic", "a sack of piece of [snip]", "mediocre", "absolute inbred", "beyond a virgin", "ganky dork", "fat smelly 40yr old virgin", "little girl", "daddy", "exploiting loser", and every [snipped] word known to man.
  • Bleakraven
    Bleakraven
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that's amazing! I want a Gautier action figure! And one of my character and my bf's character too! OH AND QUEEN AYREEN! I want them all! *throws money at @Strangefate *
  • Liquid_Time
    Liquid_Time
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great work. Would like to see more :smiley:
    ¸.•¨)
    ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•`
    Liquid_Time'*-.¸.-•-.¸_¸.-•-.¸_¸.-•-.¸_¸.-•-.¸_¸.-•-.¸_¸.-••¤
    ╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════╗
       IGN: Liquid Past || Rank: V14 || Class: Nightblade || World Skill: Vampire
    ╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════╝
  • Strangefate
    lol, thanks guys, glad you like it :)

I will be doing more ESO related figures, they're just coming slow atm as a focus on finishing the skeleton's articulation.
  • Liquid_Time
    Liquid_Time
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I will be doing more ESO related figures, they're just coming slow atm as a focus on finishing the skeleton's articulation.

Yea.. that one seems to be a challenge. Have you done any research on similar models? or simply doing so from scratch?
    ¸.•¨)
    ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•`
    Liquid_Time'*-.¸.-•-.¸_¸.-•-.¸_¸.-•-.¸_¸.-•-.¸_¸.-•-.¸_¸.-••¤
    ╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════╗
       IGN: Liquid Past || Rank: V14 || Class: Nightblade || World Skill: Vampire
    ╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════╝
  • LootMaster
    LootMaster
    ✭✭
    that's beautiful. what 3D printer did you use?
    "Madness is a bitter mercy, perhaps, but a mercy nonetheless."
    ―Sheogorat
  • Strangefate
    LootMaster wrote: »
    that's beautiful. what 3D printer did you use?

Hey, I didn't use a printer myself. I had it printed through shapeways.
  • Strangefate

Yea.. that one seems to be a challenge. Have you done any research on similar models? or simply doing so from scratch?

The skeleton's articulation is actually a lot easier than that of the female base. With a regular body you need to worry about how the cuts and cavities you need for the articulation will break the overall look and flow of the body, where as with a skeleton... that doesn't really matters.

That said, it does have a different joint system from the female, which automatically means 'test prints' until I find measurements and strengths that print and work well and offer enough mobility etc... almost there tho I think.
  • Natjur
    Natjur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a way to make extra cash, have an option to buy a 3D printed version of your in game toon....
  • PrinceBoru
    PrinceBoru
    ✭✭✭✭
    Incredibly cool!
    Thumbs way up!
    It ain't easy being green.
  • LaughingJack
    LaughingJack
    ✭✭
    Hey @ZOS,

any way we can obtain 3d-printable files of our in-game characters?
    including, as shown above, with the currently equiped armour, and gear and weapons as seperate pieces?
    Seeker of Shiny Objects
    Vapour Vehiculo De Dolor
    I7-920(2.6GHz), Win7-64, 8GB, HD4870-512, 40-90fps.
  • EnochKalahari
    Nice work! Wish i had your skills, so awesome.
  • Chufu
    Chufu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wow, amazing! Very good work!
  • Strangefate
    It's been a while since this thread, glad you guys like it.

I've been doing more stuff since then... including some new fantasy girls inspired by Conan/Frazetta and one by WoW's Arthas, and I also finished the base skeleton figure, so now I can do all kinds of variations (already in the works!).

The battle standards/banners are 3D printed too.
    74e511cfd5413daea3b25b04449b4d15.jpg
    fcb8be54c1d39ad816a716588e05c9a2.jpg
    98dec195211c10318cc3dc830db19693.jpg
    80473ae362711811949022447dedd803.jpg
    1cd92853ecc30ef7bf925b461e66af39.jpg
    1903c1026a96b0c7c3b70d8a2c0baad9.jpg
    4c6d4f403d0a63697aa8c9f9243fa25b.jpg
    5d9153cd9ded19f60e2391b71ff5ca30.jpg

...and somebody in a forum did a great job at painting one of the base skeletons... took amazing photos of it too:

d923b2f1c8e73b20deb6cc2b42219608.jpg
    b2ec2d5bffbc98033e31f7e49b2edf0e.jpg
    58ef55d6a0891f59647c13ecf19ff311.jpg
    f8aa798aab8683c7b8c263629c3cd4ce.jpg