The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Spell Damage

Nestor
Nestor
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Reading through the thread on why someone's spell damage seems lower than it should be got me to thinking. Which is always dangerous. And, I also don't want a bunch of numbers flying all over my screen, so my in game feedback is rather coarse.

Anyway, just what does Spell Damage mean, or rather do? (the value in the character sheet, I know the ability does damage to the enemy) When I cast a spell from an Ability on my hotbar, it will say X Damage over Y Time. How does the Character Spell damage factor in to this? Lets use an example I pull out of my head and ignore any passive effects.

Spell Damage from the stats in the Character Window 50

Ability Damage 100 plus 100 over 10 seconds.

So, does the Ability do 200 total damage, or 250 total damage or some other number from an equation that includes these two values?

Does it matter if the Ability does Magic Damage or Physical Damage?
Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• kitsinni
    kitsinni
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know the exact equation but it basically works like this. All class skills do more damage the more magicka and spell damage you add. All weapon skills will do more damage with weapon damage and I think stamina.

Now there are some tricky parts to it. A class skill like NB's melee attacks will do more damage with spell damage but work off weapon crit. So those are kind of physical magic attacks. A Resto or Destro staff will do more damage/heals based off of weapon damage not spell damage and rely on spell crit.

So crit is a bit confusing but as far as spell damage if it is a class skill it will be increased by magicka and spell damage. If it works off a weapon it will be increased by weapon damage.
  • madangrypally
    madangrypally
    ✭✭✭✭

Put simply its this.

Base Ability Damage = (a/b + c*d)

a = Max Magicka
    b = Max Magicka required for 1 damage gain.
    c = Spell Damage
    d = Spell Damage needed for 1 damage gain.

Then passives and other boost are added after this. An example is Cycle of Life from the Restoration staff. This adds 10% damage.

Base Ability Damage * (1.10) = New damage based on 10% addition damage.

If a player has multiple sources of increased damage then its
    Base Ability Damage * (all increase damage added together) = new damage.

Max Magicka required for 1 damage gain is not the same across all abilities. Heals work the same way.
    Example:
    Grand Healing requires 30.70 Max Magicka increase to add +1 base heal.
    Blessing of Protection requires 12.70 Max Magicka increase to add +1 base heal.

Spell and weapon damage works the same way. I have not updated my spell damage table recently so will use Weapon Damage as an example instead.

Example:
    Grand Healing requires 0.31 Weapon Damage for +1 base heal.
    Blessing of Protection requires 0.80 Weapon Damage for +1 base heal.

Spell damage for class abilities work the same way.
    IE: Crystal Fragment will require different Spell Damage and Max magicka to increase its damage by 1 then Endless Fury would.

The above is one reason why Stamina builds will never be as viable as Magicka builds. Max Magicka has a big effect on the classes abilities and if going a Max Stamina route then all the players class abilities will suffer greatly.

The numbers seem low but they quickly add up.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Put simply its this.

Snip

I am so glad you did not give me the complicated answer. :D

• Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nice to see 3 months later, the affect these numbers have is still as ambiguous as ever. :|

We were having discussion about this in zone chat just yesterday.

Specifically, how Magicka affects Spell Damge (which ties in with Spell Critical)

Some of these can be directly seen via hovering over a Magicka based skill.

With weapon attack, it's still screwy and in limbo. Staff has weapon damage & spell damage? Weapon damage (though quite magical) is still based off of stamina?

Both crits come into play, one crit comes into play?

The stamina part makes sense only during a bash.

A side question involves resistance. There is spell resistance (presumably resistance to spells) and there are specific resistances (fire & poison, for instance).

I assume if the damage is spell based, you get benefit from both (spell based poison damage having to go through some combination of spell resist and poison resist).

I equally assume that there are non spell based sources (environmental damage, stamina based attacks like poison arrow) that do not look at spell resist at all, but do look at the specific resist.

How ESO loves to bury the specifics of their mechanics.

Some of it's about as non-intuitive as can be, and patch after patch, Azura knows how it's been changed behind the scenes...?
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Put simply its this.

Base Ability Damage = (a/b + c*d)

a = Max Magicka
    b = Max Magicka required for 1 damage gain.
    c = Spell Damage
    d = Spell Damage needed for 1 damage gain.

Snip

That's a great explanation, thk u!

I do wonder where you got that equation from however. Was it listed somewhere? Trial and error? Determining constants with a program, etc.?

Guild: STACK n BURN (gm) PC - NA
    CP 810 18 Maxed Characters:
    "How hard can u guar?" - Rafishul[/spoiler]
  • jluceyub17_ESO
    jluceyub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Class abilities - boosted by Magicka and Spell Damage, Crit chance is Spell crit
    Destro/Resto - boosted by Magicka and Weapon Damage, crit chance is Spell crit
    All other weapons - boosted by Stamina and Weapon Damage, crit chance is Weapon crit.
    Not super complicated.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not super complicated.

Correct, figuring what boosts the damage is not that complicated. Figuring out how much the damage is boosted by the stat is what's complicated....

• jluceyub17_ESO
    jluceyub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Not super complicated.

Correct, figuring what boosts the damage is not that complicated. Figuring out how much the damage is boosted by the stat is what's complicated....

Oh ya, I don't even bother to dig that deep, though I guess one would if they wanted to figure out how deep to go into softcaps before focusing on the other stats. I just check my DPS and tweak blindly.
  • Aett_Thorn
    Aett_Thorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Class abilities - boosted by Magicka and Spell Damage, Crit chance is Spell crit

Except for some that go off of weapon crit.
  • catpower
    catpower
    ✭✭✭
    Destro/Resto - boosted by Magicka and Weapon Damage, crit chance is Spell crit
    All other weapons - boosted by Stamina and Weapon Damage, crit chance is Weapon crit.
    Not super complicated.

I'm pretty sure that some class skills critical chance uses your weapon crit, Templar biting jabs being one example, there are surely others.

It may not be complicated, but it is definitely not 100% consistent as your post would lead someone to believe.