Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Veteran System Changes Preview

• Anu_Saukko_Tutkija
    Anu_Saukko_Tutkija
    ✭✭✭
    "At least make Dolmens, zone bosses not soloable."

I agree on Dolmens

but why zone bosses have to be not soloable? why? i feel you if you meant extremely hard. but can't be done is to much im hero not a soldier. PvP is for that fun. :)
    /\:__:/\
    (。 ◕‿‿ ◕).
  • stonecolb
    stonecolb
    hmmm it seems the VR system is changing

this is good and bad

but i think WOWC has still got better lvling system and content etc etc
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So how's this doing? I went through and enjoyed every single bit of lv 1-50, but i've been VR2 for months, and last hit VR3 finally. It's NOT about difficulties, it's about redundancies.

"Hey you hit lv50! gratz! Now do it ALL OVER AGAIN TWICE to hit max VR (which is far superior than a lv50)".

I know they're different factions and different quests, but damnit, I would've rolled another char if I want to go through those contents. It's immersion-breaking and plain dull to go through them as if I'm a low level all over again.

Thoughts:
    Make leveling VR1 - VR14 SUPER FAST. Hell, make it optional to go through the other 2 factions (no, AvA is not an option, it's even freakin longer to level that way) just to enjoy Craglorn.

I feel like I want to drop my subs because my main toon is getting boring to play since I have 2 completely different characters playing the other 2 factions (I like it that way, it's more immersive for many reasons, such as RP and instancing), so now I have to go through these low level (but labeled as "VR" Oooooh!) as a low level myself (but "*VR* low level" Oooooh!)

It's like the whole game has 150 levels. 51-100 is "disguised" as VR1-VR6, and 101 to 150 is VR7 - VR12. *BUT* the kick is, you didn't know about these scheme until you actually hit VR1. That's how it feels to me anyway.

Just my 2c.

POST-THOUGHTS: If the whole leveling is simply LABELED (no gameplay, no mechanic changes) with these adjustments:
    1-50 --> 1-30
    VR1-VR6 --> 31-40
    VR7 - VR12 --> 41-50

even if it's JUST THAT.... i swear it'll feel much better. at least for me.
    Edited by Davadin on September 16, 2014 2:22PM
    August Palatine Davadin Bloodstrake - Nord Dragon Knight - PC NA - Gray Host
    Greymoor 6.0.7 PvP : Medium 2H/SnB The Destroyer
    Dragonhold 5.2.11 PvE : Medium DW/2H The Blood Furnace
    March 2021 (too lazy to add CP) PvP: Medium DW/Bow The Stabber
  • Darkonflare15
    Darkonflare15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So how's this doing? I went through and enjoyed every single bit of lv 1-50, but i've been VR2 for months, and last hit VR3 finally. It's NOT about difficulties, it's about redundancies.

"Hey you hit lv50! gratz! Now do it ALL OVER AGAIN TWICE to hit max VR (which is far superior than a lv50)".

I know they're different factions and different quests, but damnit, I would've rolled another char if I want to go through those contents. It's immersion-breaking and plain dull to go through them as if I'm a low level all over again.

Thoughts:
    Make leveling VR1 - VR14 SUPER FAST. Hell, make it optional to go through the other 2 factions (no, AvA is not an option, it's even freakin longer to level that way) just to enjoy Craglorn.

I feel like I want to drop my subs because my main toon is getting boring to play since I have 2 completely different characters playing the other 2 factions (I like it that way, it's more immersive for many reasons, such as RP and instancing), so now I have to go through these low level (but labeled as "VR" Oooooh!) as a low level myself (but "*VR* low level" Oooooh!)

It's like the whole game has 150 levels. 51-100 is "disguised" as VR1-VR6, and 101 to 150 is VR7 - VR12. *BUT* the kick is, you didn't know about these scheme until you actually hit VR1. That's how it feels to me anyway.

Just my 2c.

POST-THOUGHTS: If the whole leveling is simply LABELED (no gameplay, no mechanic changes) with these adjustments:
    1-50 --> 1-30
    VR1-VR6 --> 31-40
    VR7 - VR12 --> 41-50

I understand how you feel but think of this in another way. I have played through the other areas of the game and I never thought of myself as a person who is stuck to one alliance .
    As I played through the game it felt all I was doing was helping people in general,like stopping other alliances and other enemies from hurting innocents. The only time I felt like I was part of an alliance was during pvp and even then I did not care that much about the war.

The character itself is not really stuck on an alliance if you play Pve. The character is an adventurer just helping people out while exploring through each alliance areas finding out what they fight for. It not really that immersion breaking because your pretty much just helping people in each alliance by protecting them from outside sources or domestic sources. This is not really attacking the other alliances this more like getting rid of a group soldiers who are not helping the war anyway they are just causing harm.

When you play the game in a elder scrolls way you are never really tied down to one thing. If you truly want to role play right than you could of went to pvp after turning veteran rank 1 if you want to be in that specific alliance but if you want to be just adventurer you can play through the other alliances.
    Edited by Darkonflare15 on September 20, 2014 6:55PM
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thoughts:

Just my 2c.

1-50 --> 1-30
    VR1-VR6 --> 31-40
    VR7 - VR12 --> 41-50

I understand how you feel but think of this in another way. I have played through the other areas of and I never thought of myself as a person who is stuck to one alliance .
    As I played through the game it felt all I was doing was helping people in general,like stopping other alliances and other enemies from hurting innocents. The only time I felt like I was part of an alliance was during pvp and even then I did not care that much about the war.

The character itself is not really stuck on an alliance if you play Pve. The character is an adventurer just helping people out while exploring through each alliance areas finding out what they fight for. It not really that immersion breaking because your pretty much just helping people in each alliance by protecting them from outside sources or domestic sources. This is not really attacking the other alliances this more like getting rid of a group soldiers who are not helping the war anyway they are just causing harm.

When you play the game in elder scrolls way you are never really tied down to one thing. If you truly want to role play right than should of went to pvp after turning veteran rank 1 if you want to be just that specific alliance but if you want to be just adventurer you can play through the other alliances.

Good point. But as my race is a Nord, I felt like I'm part of the Pact already even before Manimarco stole my soul... so I *am* part of one alliance. Likewise my other characters, depending on their race, it just feels.... right... to think that even originally I'm part of one specific alliance.

Again, that's just me n how I look at it :)
  • Darkonflare15
    Darkonflare15
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thoughts:

Just my 2c.

1-50 --> 1-30
    VR1-VR6 --> 31-40
    VR7 - VR12 --> 41-50

I understand how you feel but think of this in another way. I have played through the other areas of and I never thought of myself as a person who is stuck to one alliance .

When you play the game in elder scrolls way you are never really tied down to one thing. If you truly want to role play right than should of went to pvp after turning veteran rank 1 if you want to be just that specific alliance but if you want to be just adventurer you can play through the other alliances.

Good point. But as my race is a Nord, I felt like I'm part of the Pact already even before Manimarco stole my soul... so I *am* part of one alliance. Likewise my other characters, depending on their race, it just feels.... right... to think that even originally I'm part of one specific alliance.

Again, that's just me n how I look at it :)

@dsoegiartob16_ESO
    Yeah that makes sense. Is all about how you feel when your role playing. See I never felt that just because my race is fighting in the war for this particular alliance that I had to fight for that alliance since multiple races live in different alliances. I started off as a Argonian in the Daggerfall Covenant not because I want to fight for that alliance but because I wanted to start in that area I was not familiar with. I wanted to play in the two alliances that I had never explored before I played the ebonheart pact area. Since I played Skyrim,Morrowind, and Oblivion before and I did not feel like playing in those areas right away but I love playing Argonian because it is my favorite race plus I have neutrality mind set like the mages guild and the fighters guild. My only enemy is those that try to kill me be it the Molag Bal, my alliance, or any other alliance, but hey to each its own.
    Edited by Darkonflare15 on September 20, 2014 7:11PM
  • b-l-a-d-eb16_ESO
    You shouldnt be at maxlvl too easy. Maxlvl should be sth special. in games where you are maxlvl after a few days i unsubbed before the 1st month was over. i know more than enough people which made VR12 in PVP. Its not necessary to do the other campaigns if you dont want to do that. make dungeons or groupdungeons or go questing craglorn, do pvp whatever.

even vr12->vr14 was too fast. even if you didnt grind it was done so quickly. when i logged in after patching the game already V14 people ran around.
  • jaibierwb17_ESO
    jaibierwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭

Thoughts:

Just my 2c.

1-50 --> 1-30
    VR1-VR6 --> 31-40
    VR7 - VR12 --> 41-50

Uh, it is optional to do the other 2 factions. If you don't want to do those quests, you can go straight to Craglorn at VR1 and grind to VR14 quickly. 1.5mil VP per hour. More on upper Crag, not sure of the numbers.
  • melinda1906b14_ESO
    melinda1906b14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Being a singleplayer Veteran Level 6 I would like to be able to go into Craglorn (or somewhere) to do PVE. I don't group much and love the singleplayer experience. I am almost all the way through Cadwells Gold (2 more to go) and I want to experience more. Being new to the whole online gaming experience (ESO being my first) the thought of some of the trails and having to group up is very scary to me and leaves me wondering how much more can I do in the game. I don't have the experience or my skills up to some of the levels that are needed to do all the stuff in Craglorn. Don't get me wrong I think the idea of Craglorn it is wonderful. There are several players in my Guild that do very well in Craglorn and love it, but I am just not up to there level of skill yet. I have created toons in every factions and tried out (at least to level 20) all the different skill sets DK, NB, Sorc, Templar. So what is in store for gamers like myself? What is going to make me want to continue playing? I love this game and do not mind the monthly charge as long as you are taking in account the gamers like myself who pay that monthly fee but do not care for the PVP experience.
  • Grileenor
    Grileenor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Davadin wrote: »

Thoughts:

Just my 2c.

1-50 --> 1-30
    VR1-VR6 --> 31-40
    VR7 - VR12 --> 41-50

Exactly how I feel. I do like the game, really, but I log on less and less, because playing the VR character is boring. Well, yes, greatest quests ever... but. There is nor real advancement, there is the wrong faction you fight for, there is a real lack of motivation. I played for about three months to reach lvl 50 and my char learned, evolved and was part of his story. Now I have to play (note 'have to'!) for 6 more months, with near to no advancement, stories belonging to the wrong factions and not even options aside from dungeons/craglorn to play with mates during this tedious 6 months.

Do something about this, fast! I don't want to leave this game, but currently Veteran leveling is choking the fun out of the game for me.

• tiamak
    tiamak
    ✭✭✭
    I don't group much and love the singleplayer experience. [...] Being new to the whole online gaming experience (ESO being my first) the thought of some of the trails and having to group up is very scary to me and leaves me wondering how much more can I do in the game. I don't have the experience or my skills up to some of the levels that are needed to do all the stuff in Craglorn. [...] I love this game and do not mind the monthly charge as long as you are taking in account the gamers like myself who pay that monthly fee but do not care for the PVP experience.
    I totally understand you from my own experiences with another MMO that I used to play. When I was invited to a guild, back then, I was so scared to enter the Team Speak channel and, you know, drop my disguise a bit. And I was even more nervous when I went raiding with that guild for the first time. I can say that I certainly wiped the whole group a couple of times. But you know what? It didn't matter at all. Everyone was nice and we all had great loads of fun. So, I understand that you're already in a guild? Well, just give group play a try! You would deprive yourself of one of the most entertaining aspects of an MMO: playing a game you like with nice people. You might need to learn group play, learn the role you can fill in a group and how to do so, but I promise you that this is nothing to be scared of. In the contrary, it can be highly rewarding if your group finally managed to overcome a mighty foe and everyone can be proud of his contribution to success. Not all groups run trials. You'll certainly find some group with players of your experience and skill. (In case you're on EU server, feel free to mail me.)

Concerning the veteran system: I like it! V5 now, and it took me about one area plus a few (!) hours of PvP to go through each of the veteran ranks. Sure, progression is slow. But, you're not supposed to progress anymore. You're just maturing as you learn about the worries of the other factions and the real extent of Molag Bal's dark plan. And concerning immersion, this makes sense to me as well.

• Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think all new areas should follow the same formula that the initial game followed. Story quests should be Solo with new areas being devoted to either PvP Zones for solo, group and guild fighting or PvE content with the same mix of Solo, Public and Group dungeons and/or content. Visit any faction area or Cyrodiil prior to Craglorn to see examples of what I'm talking about.

Also if you introduce changes to systems in place like crafting don't slap subscribers in the face by making all the work they've done for naught. Nirnhoned as a 9th trait is a joke, I've got 7 traits in almost everything 8 in all of the stuff I use most but being as I have very little time to group (I do like grouping by the way) I will never have the materials to learn or craft it. Also, the time and amount of materials I've put into Enchanting to level it,,,, well at the pace it progresses now I would have done enough to be to level 80 by now, yet I'm still in the mid 40's but someone new will have to put scant amount of effort into it to get to where I am now which is insulting, you could have at least backtracked how much I've done and leveled me accordingly with the update.

I really hope getting rid of the VR system fixes some of this stuff, but this path of forcing folks to group and only group to get anything new is not a path I will continue to follow. I think the original formula worked, sure folks griped but you still had something for everyone.
    Proud member of the Psijic Order - The first wave - The 0.016%

• set44ub17_ESO1
    The grind is fine. I don't understand how people would rather grind the same mob over and over rather than experiencing quests, exploring and just the great enviroment. They do need to add some reward to the zones, heck even if it was the corps pounding motif for the zone....
  • orionrimb14_ESO
    orionrimb14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    For me, the Veteran experience was so lousy, I refuse to continue into that "Silver" or "Gold" with my players. They're sitting there, waiting for XP to come back. No XP, ever? I'll just play the base game until I'm sick of it that will be end of ESO for me.
  • set44ub17_ESO1
    I love this game...
    Edited by set44ub17_ESO1 on October 6, 2014 5:04AM
  • Bloodfang
    Bloodfang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think veteran ranks themselves are not that bad at all:

- It's a perfect way to experience the story of all factions without the need of making alts (just the way it should be in a modern MMO)

Myself I don't think helping other Alliance is that much lore or immersion-breaking at all, after all Tamriel is a big place full of thieves, spies, betrayers, aswell as neutrals..therefore even if you are a hardcore PvP player, that doesn't mean you are helping other factions directly, you are just fighting against the greater evil..

I understand it can be really frustrating for players that love playing with alts, they are forced into PvP or grinding Craglorn. They don't have much of a choice really.

Even when the Champion System comes I can see a big gap between the players (in term of champion points achieved). Sure we will all be lvl 50, though I'm pretty sure there will be some rank, based on how many champion points you've achieved.

I know people hate Craglorn due to a fact you HAVE to be grouped. And even more that you can't group up due to the phasing problems (hopefully that will be fixed soon). I personally have nothing against Adventures Zones being a Group Oriented Zone, but at least make them solo once there is released a newer Adventure Zone (looking at Murkmire).

Lets keep fingers crossed there will be more content available for all playstyles as the game keep going. Though I have to admit I'm a bit skeptical how hard they will make the new solo zone (Wrothgar), especially what kind of rank will determine if you are strong enough to enter it.
    Edited by Bloodfang on October 6, 2014 9:11AM
  • ghengis_dhan
    ghengis_dhan
    ✭✭✭
    I can't agree with some of the player comments here. I love the current veteran leveling rate and the veteran zones.

Going from level 1 to 50 really frustrated me because I had to keep crafting more and more gear to stay competitive with the game. I want to craft the best set of gear and then use it for a few weeks at least. To me, it's the story, exploration, and combat that matter. Having to keep making new gear distracts from this, and quite frankly, is frustrating to me.

ZOS, if you make changes to the leveling system, please make it superficial. Some other players seem to want to see a number going up as they play to feel like they are going somewhere. Please don't make me have to keep crafting new gear endlessly.
    Edited by ghengis_dhan on October 13, 2014 12:39PM
    "It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

Teddy Roosevelt, Paris, 1910
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thoughts:

Just my 2c.

1-50 --> 1-30
    VR1-VR6 --> 31-40
    VR7 - VR12 --> 41-50

Uh, it is optional to do the other 2 factions. If you don't want to do those quests, you can go straight to Craglorn at VR1 and grind to VR14 quickly. 1.5mil VP per hour. More on upper Crag, not sure of the numbers.

Well that's just dumb. ZOS, not you.

That's just really super stupid way to design an MMO.

Hey! We've created awesome worlds for you guys! (Good)
    ...but you gotta "act" like you're a nobody allover again (Bad)
    ...and it's going to take super long time to complete, since you're a noob and all (Bad)
    BUT HEY if you just want to skip all these great contents, we're cool with that too. Feel free to chug on Caffeine and wear your man-diaper and enjoy the end-game content within a day or two of GRINDING! Yes, that's right. GRINDING. What's an MMO without it, right? (BAD)

...coz yknow, we like to support those hardcore players who just want to skip game content and play the numbers game at the end-game, just to wave their e-peen and *** on how lacking those contents are. (REALLY REALLY BAD)
  • Reco
    Reco
    ✭✭✭
    Skipping the vet quests means you are not getting dozens of skill points, though.
  • silent88b14_ESO
    silent88b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I get of plenty of challenge and stress living successfully in the real world. I am grateful to be able to return home in the evening and on weekends to relax playing an adventurous tale well told. I am not interested in compounding my challenges with yet more frustrations in my leisure activities. So I applaud the described consideration for those who have other things to do with their time than 'earn' their way through Tamriel. I'd just like to have fun as an independent player and not have to be trained into a codependent servant of a poser player organization.
    Edited by silent88b14_ESO on October 31, 2014 3:07PM
    Behold the great Oak. Just a little nut who stood his ground.
  • Darkonflare15
    Darkonflare15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't agree with some of the player comments here. I love the current veteran leveling rate and the veteran zones.

Going from level 1 to 50 really frustrated me because I had to keep crafting more and more gear to stay competitive with the game. I want to craft the best set of gear and then use it for a few weeks at least. To me, it's the story, exploration, and combat that matter. Having to keep making new gear distracts from this, and quite frankly, is frustrating to me.

ZOS, if you make changes to the leveling system, please make it superficial. Some other players seem to want to see a number going up as they play to feel like they are going somewhere. Please don't make me have to keep crafting new gear endlessly.

You know you do not need to upgrade all of the time. I always upgrade about 7 to 8 levels when I was level 1throuh 50. The crafted armor does not get you that huge of a boost.
  • set44ub17_ESO1

You know you do not need to upgrade all of the time. I always upgrade about 7 to 8 levels when I was level 1throuh 50. The crafted armor does not get you that huge of a boost.[/quote]

Yes , but as long as your not paying for new gear, upgrading is way cheaper than repairing.
  • WraithAzraiel
    WraithAzraiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Being a singleplayer Veteran Level 6 I would like to be able to go into Craglorn (or somewhere) to do PVE. I don't group much and love the singleplayer experience. I am almost all the way through Cadwells Gold (2 more to go) and I want to experience more. Being new to the whole online gaming experience (ESO being my first) the thought of some of the trails and having to group up is very scary to me and leaves me wondering how much more can I do in the game. I don't have the experience or my skills up to some of the levels that are needed to do all the stuff in Craglorn. Don't get me wrong I think the idea of Craglorn it is wonderful. There are several players in my Guild that do very well in Craglorn and love it, but I am just not up to there level of skill yet. I have created toons in every factions and tried out (at least to level 20) all the different skill sets DK, NB, Sorc, Templar. So what is in store for gamers like myself? What is going to make me want to continue playing? I love this game and do not mind the monthly charge as long as you are taking in account the gamers like myself who pay that monthly fee but do not care for the PVP experience.

Wait for Wrothgar to come out. Craglorn is a group PvE area and always every marketed as such.

There will be more solo-able content, just be patient.
    Shendell De'Gull - V14 Vampire Nightblade

Captain of the Black Howling

"There's no such thing as overkill..."

"No problem on the face of the Earth exists what can't be fixed with the proper application of enough duct tape and 550 cord."

P2PBetaTesters
    #Tamriel_BETA_Team
    #BETA_TESTER4LYF
    DominionMasterRace
    #GOAHEADTHEYGOTCANDY
    #SEEMSLEGIT
  • befuddler
    befuddler
    Soul Shriven
    I'm a lone wolf. Post 50 in Craiglorn is too difficult solo. I appreciate your efforts to create meet and greet questing, I prefer not to be forced to play with others. It's what I have loved since Morrowind. I don't expect you to change things to make it "my game", but maybe there is some way to help me experience it alone.
  • NotSo
    NotSo
    ✭✭✭✭
    I literally just sprint through quest objectives and plow through everything in my way right now. Occasionally running into a boss that kills me a couple times, there have only been a few quests that have been difficult to complete. I think most of the 'grindy' quests could be easier to finish but the "endzone" quests should be made much harder so that you would rely on a group to break through. I think it would help out with some of the lackluster transitions from one zone to another.

Ooooor Veteran ranks and the gear associated with it should not scale like you are leveling above 50 and instead should feel like you are refining your fighting ability. The two veteran alliances should be completely open when you hit level 50, we should be able to just push through the main quest and leave the side quests behind in order to catch up to our friends and guild members; side quests should have a separate reward associated with them other than just 'more xp, more xp, more xp' (in this case, 'more vr points').

Sorry for ranting like some skeever brained bum.
    It's just super weird to have the idea that after pushing through levels 1 to 50 in a very linear manner, I would want to do the exact same thing two more times. Free it up a little, would you please?
    /rant
    Gar'Sol the Wanderer VR14 Khajiit Sorcerer Spellblade
  • Amiliana
    Amiliana
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts, concerns, and questions with us, everyone. We're working on gathering answers for you, and providing more details about the VR rank increase and will post everything early next week.

Did they?
    “We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give.” — Winston Curchill
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amiliana wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts, concerns, and questions with us, everyone. We're working on gathering answers for you, and providing more details about the VR rank increase and will post everything early next week.

Did they?

No idea. Definitely more details in the EIGHT MONTHS since the post before yours. Check Dev Tracker posts from back in November of 2014 and before,

Oh.. and

2582udy.jpg
    Edited by Darlgon on June 7, 2015 2:28AM
    Power level to CP160 in a week:
    Where is the end game? You just played it.
    Why don't I have 300+ skill points? Because you skipped content along the way.
    Where is new content? Sigh.
  • Azalin76
    Azalin76
    ✭✭✭
    Any updates on this from the Developers? There has been a large discussion on multiple threads in the forums recently, especially since console versions have been released. Would be nice to hear some feedback from the actual developers as to when the vet system will be removed and what the plan is. It's been months now and from what I am seeing in the forums it's starting to make people feel like you guys have no clue as to what you are doing about this. Give us something to ease our minds, especially those of us who have been with you for over a year and have invested a lot of time and money in this game.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If there are any updates, they won't be here. There are many more recent threads than this one.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • bg22
    bg22
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So... I've been gone for a bit... You guys are no longer planning on removing the veteran ranks?