The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

GetMapPlayerPosition('reticleover') ????

SkOODaT
SkOODaT
✭✭✭
TargetX, TargetY, TargetH = GetMapPlayerPosition('reticleover')

can anyone explane what happen to it seem only "player" return position data now as of V1.2.3 if you use 'reticleover' its all 0 0 0
anyone any ideas?

ZO PLEASE release API changes .......
Edited by SkOODaT on June 25, 2014 2:27AM
  • SkOODaT
    SkOODaT
    ✭✭✭
    Still nothing on this ? LOL well my addons not the only addon affected by this esohead npcs recording prolly doesn't work as it ueses this and range reticle, I've spent hours looking for a work around but isn't looking good unless they have added a new API function for target X,Y BE REALLY NICE if a staff member could comment on this, what happen to this API function ?
  • GnatB
    GnatB
    ✭✭✭✭
    I could see this one being intentionally eliminated in order to combat botting, but yeah. It'd be nice if they actually said something.
    Achievements Suck
  • SkOODaT
    SkOODaT
    ✭✭✭
    if thats the case im REALLLLY disapointed, may be time to go back to WOW ive spent a month now getting my vendors addon loggin NPCs to a database correctly and posting them onto the map successor to merchants addon.... stilll havent released it but ITS USELESS NOW all that time wasted when i could of been doing other things ingame without target XY of NPCs... thier is no way a user can manually create a database of NPCs, i understand they dont want botting but this API function is not really useful for botters either why would botters need NPC X,Y, this is a stupid change and im uesally not one for complaining about changes but like common NO api changelog break almost 3/4 addons created this patch is a shame i really dont have any drive to sort my UI out or play :(
  • zgrssd
    zgrssd
    ✭✭✭✭
    GnatB wrote: »
    I could see this one being intentionally eliminated in order to combat botting, but yeah. It'd be nice if they actually said something.
    Cairenn asked them for the Patchnotes. They something about "tomorrow" or so. Chances are we got a not so problematic replacement for it.
    http://www.esoui.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1836
    [...]
    I am getting in touch with Zenimax to see if we can get some information on the changes to the API. I'll update this as appropriate.
    [Edit] Okay, I just heard back from Zenimax and I 'should' have API notes by tomorrow.

Elana Peterson (EU), Dominion, Imperial Sorc, Rune & Alchemy Crafting Char
    Leonida Peterson (EU), Daggerfall, Kajiit Nightblade, Tank & main Crafter
    Kurga Peterson (EU), Ebonhart, Ork Dragonknight, Provision Mule
    Coldblood Peterson (EU) Argonian Templer, Daggerfall, Healer
    Incendia Peterson (EU), Dominion, Dunmer Dragonknight, fire DPS & healer
    Haldor Belendor (EU), Ebonhart, Breton Sorcerer, Tank
    Fuliminictus Peterson (EU), Ebonhart, Altmer Sorcerer, Electric DPS

Me babbling about PvE roles and Armor, Short Guide to Addon Programming (for Programmers)

If you think anything I or somebody else said violates the Rules of this Forum, you are free to flag my posts. Till I get any notifcaion from this, I just asume you know you have no case against me or Zenimax disagrees with you.
  • SkOODaT
    SkOODaT
    ✭✭✭
    @zgrssd lol im watching these and esoui's forums for any updates ty tho, thats what i am praying for ive been randomly trying "get" functions to see if i could hopefully figure it out myself lol, be nice to get an offical post about the saved vars too as the PTS is still using ["@ACCOUNTNAME"] but the live is not ??? lol so i think thats a major bug too and could be seeing a patch, the only other way i could possibly make my addon work correctly is to have the interact event record player X,Y on interaction with a vendor but that means players half to interact to have them record and not only that but player X, Y will put the NPC X,Y slightly off depending on where the player is standing its really unreliable:(
    pre 1.2.3 all i had to do was reticle by an NPC and BAM it was recorded with ITS X,Y

if i ever figure this out here's a preview of the now totally broken unreleased "Vendors"
    Vendors%20Pins.png

Vendors%20Pins%20Tooltip.png

Vendors%20Options.png

everyhting workrs PERFECT still just i NEEEEEED GetMapPlayerPosition('reticleover') or something that replaces it For NPCs
    Edited by SkOODaT on June 25, 2014 10:50PM
  • GnatB
    GnatB
    ✭✭✭✭
    SkOODaT wrote: »
    I understand they dont want botting but this API function is not really useful for botters either why would botters need NPC X,Y,

As I understand it, it wasn't just NPC X,Y, but whatever target is under the reticle. And I have a hard time believing you can't see why a simple bot program would find the ability to obtain the x/y coordinates of things useful.
    Achievements Suck
  • SkOODaT
    SkOODaT
    ✭✭✭
    to be quite honest they locked out player movement allready so botters dont use ESO api to bot, if someone if going to bot thier going to HACK the game outright

Cairenn wrote: »
    Personally Id have been happy they didnt allow add ons. Add ons were the root cause of all the botting issues for months.
    Flawed information is flawed. Trust me, botters don't bother using addons. They straight up hack the game and use tools they write themselves that absolutely don't follow any of the rules. Addons are legitimately written pieces of code that use the supplied approved UI API.

Edited by SkOODaT on June 25, 2014 11:57PM
  • GnatB
    GnatB
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hmm. Didn't realize they had locked out movement, though not terribly surprising, but you don't really *need* to move to do a primitive bot. Even if rotation is locked out you can still do some primitive botting while you're at work or something..
    Achievements Suck
  • Seerah
    Seerah
    ✭✭✭
    There's nothing TO bot in the API.
    Author & Moderator at ESOUI
    My Addons
  • SkOODaT
    SkOODaT
    ✭✭✭
    oh add ReticleSettings and ZrMM to the list of addons that used GetMapPlayerPosition('reticleover') like 2 of the BEST and most needed addons out we really got the end of the stick on this patch :(

i dont think ZrMM really used it tho but still
    Edited by SkOODaT on June 26, 2014 4:17AM
  • GnatB
    GnatB
    ✭✭✭✭
    oh add ReticleSettings and ZrMM to the list of addons that used GetMapPlayerPosition('reticleover') like 2 of the BEST and most needed addons out we really got the end of the stick on this patch :(

i dont think ZrMM really used it tho but still

Was curious about that, the only error I remember getting in ZrMM was about GetTextureInfo, which was apparently fixed by changing it to GetTextureFilename (Think I have those names right?)
    Achievements Suck
  • SkOODaT
    SkOODaT
    ✭✭✭
    I saw GetMapPlayerPosition('reticleover') in ZrMM I think it's for custom pins but isn't really in use in the addon but if he had any ideas with GetMapPlayerPosition('reticleover') not going to work now lol
    Edited by SkOODaT on June 26, 2014 6:47PM
  • SkOODaT
    SkOODaT
    ✭✭✭
    So I've converted the scanner to a interact :( works still but you half to interact with said vendor to have it log to the database and pin to the map it's not so much that I half to use player X Y but the fact to get reliable X Y for the Npc location the player has to be as close to the Npc as possible and interact ...where before it was just a reticule by and it loged, really would like to see a dev or CS post something on why it got changed
  • zgrssd
    zgrssd
    ✭✭✭✭
    Seerah wrote: »
    There's nothing TO bot in the API.
    Specificalyl we cannot move, fire skills, no mouse action, no chat messages.
    We can mail every 5 seconds (if the mail window is open) and write to Guild Member notes. We can also fire emotes.

Still those functions could be used to gather data.
    It would be a relevant improovement if an addon would put the data of this function on the UI where it can be parsed with some basic OCR isntead of having to parse this information the hard way (from a 3D world picture).

It is one of those functions that has no meaning besides automated interaction with the world. And only a handfull of addons needed it in the first palce.
    So I've converted the scanner to a interact :( works still but you half to interact with said vendor to have it log to the database and pin to the map it's not so much that I half to use player X Y but the fact to get reliable X Y for the Npc location the player has to be as close to the Npc as possible and interact ...where before it was just a reticule by and it loged, really would like to see a dev or CS post something on why it got changed
    I think a core problem is that you try to gather all the data yourself. Lorebooks, Atlas and several similar relied on a dual approach:
    Provided data and data gathered by the player (if you find a lorebook not in the Provided data, it is just added to the list of know entries).
    They also offerer a simple way to transmit the stored data to the Mod creator (usually via mail template; maybe manually making a saved var copy) so it can be worked into future versions of the Addon.

It could be doable simply by adding multiple .lua files that are nothing but table assignments (technically saved vars are little else).
    You could easily seperate the provided data across multiple lua files. When you update the addon, providing new tables is just part of the download.
    It does not need to be perfect, just good enough.

Me babbling about PvE roles and Armor, Short Guide to Addon Programming (for Programmers)

If you think anything I or somebody else said violates the Rules of this Forum, you are free to flag my posts. Till I get any notifcaion from this, I just asume you know you have no case against me or Zenimax disagrees with you.
  • zgrssd
    zgrssd
    ✭✭✭✭

can anyone explane what happen to it seem only "player" return position data now as of V1.2.3 if you use 'reticleover' its all 0 0 0
    anyone any ideas?
    We got an update now. I think it might be related to the dispaly name issue.
    If GetMapPlayerPosition() tries to get the position relative to displayName-unit it would make sense that it only returns nul (propably because it cannot find a unit named "").

• SkOODaT
    SkOODaT
    ✭✭✭
    zgrssd wrote: »

anyone any ideas?
    If GetMapPlayerPosition() tries to get the position relative to displayName-unit it would make sense that it only returns nul (propably because it cannot find a unit named "").

well half to see i think they removed "reticle" for PVP reasons but well see hopefully they get all the fixes in place really quick
  • zgrssd
    zgrssd
    ✭✭✭✭
    zgrssd wrote: »

anyone any ideas?

well half to see i think they removed "reticle" for PVP reasons but well see hopefully they get all the fixes in place really quick
    I now think actually that is more a bug related to the DispalyName issues.

That function gives you the position of the reticle target retlative to the player.
    If they try to gather the players position with GetPosition(displayName) half the data will not be there (because it can't find "" in the world).
    If either of the two required functions returns invalid data, returning all 0 (instead of throwing an exception) is the common programming approach.

Had just no idea the SavedVars issues were based on the DisplayName not being set properly (asumed code changes in the saved var part to be the culptript). Otherwise I could have guess that correlation right away.
    So I asume that issue might just vanish once they fixed the whole DisplayName issue.

• SkOODaT
    SkOODaT
    ✭✭✭
    its possible i was uesing IsUnitDead('reticleover') on friday night and it worked perfect but on saterday night it would only thow false back on alive units but nohting on dead units, but when i shift to werewolf it would work again untill i reverted prolly same display name issue
    Edited by SkOODaT on June 29, 2014 6:03PM
  • SkOODaT
    SkOODaT
    ✭✭✭
    well after days of badgering ...
    can we get an update for :
    -TargetX, TargetY, TargetH = GetMapPlayerPosition('reticleover') doesn't return target X,Y is this a bug or intentionally removed?

This was intentionally removed, and there are no current plans to return the functionality.
    - IsUnitDead('reticleover') , completely broken dead units return nothing, unless transformed into a werewolf??

We're looking into this. As you mentioned, that is not working as intended.
    - GetDisplayName(), whats happening with this, is it comming monday? like an update as MANY ppl have modified/fixed thier saves and now are loggin new data and will half to fix again...

We're working on a fix for this one, though we don't have an ETA yet.

so it seems my scanner idea of reticule over is dead as is rangereticule seems other addons are adapting tho like reticulesettings thiers a patch for it out,
    really would of been nice to get advanced notice on this one as i spent time testing it and getting it to work the way i wanted and it was a dead function to be removed LOL
    Edited by SkOODaT on July 3, 2014 11:00PM