The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Player Lore Books (idea for PVE exploration)

ServerusEcru
ServerusEcru
✭✭✭
Greetings, Travelers!

While I was in a ruin, reading a great story, I was thinking, what if characters had the opportunity to write their own books and place them anywhere in Tamriel, based on where they have explored, and what they have experienced? Such a feature could bring characters together on a higher scale, and it will definitely feel like you are leaving a piece of your signature in the world. All player made books would have to be lore based upon approval (screened for foul language, grammar and over all consistency), and if approved; will be readable for the entire Elder Scrolls Online community. You could share about your guild's beginnings, trials, downfalls, even how your group became; or you could write a journal about your own personal adventures and triumphs, recipes, armor traits, etc. Something like this in the future PVE content would really be a unique trait for MMO gaming; imagine coming across a book that can give you some kind of reward for reading, or even rewarding you with a skill point, or whatever custom enchants that player decided to place within the book. Truly it would be a great opportunity to learn who is out there and who is roleplaying in your community; and we all know that ESO will only grow based on the strength of our community, and our commitment to helping our game succeed with player creativity.

Leave a comment and let us know, if you would appreciate something like this in a future upgrade.

Well, met!

~Serverus
"Train your opponent to make the wrong response." — The Book of Circles, By Loredas Maxims
NA/PC/ Order of the Candle
  • ThePageMaster
    This man is a hero, one of vision! He would be a giant among men in The Literary Guild of Tamriel (TM pending). This is a very good idea as it get's the community involved and really stretches the experience of the game!

I will be submitting some feedback tickets demanding this and they'll listen because they know me, I'm a cool guy and they respect me 'cause of it. :)
    The Literary Guild of Tamriel
    "Message for an invite and join NOW!"
    Find us on Twitter here: http://twitter.com/LitSoc_Tamriel
    :D

"Work is the curse of the drinking classes" - Oscar Wilde

• TheRiseofTalos
    TheRiseofTalos
    Soul Shriven
    Well Met adventurer!

This would be a fantastic edition to the overall Lore of the Elder Scrolls Online, these troubling times encourage and promote exciting stories and adventures!
    I would like to see this as an in-game option, to leave notes or books that can give people more insight into who you are in this world!

Caligraphy could be a new craft! :) You would need to make paper, find different inks and writing styles.
    Create riddles and attach prizes to the notes scattered around the world!
    Would create a new facet for exploration!

I hope this can become a reality!
    Knowledge is power

Slips-Through-Shadows
  • ThePageMaster
    Caligraphy could be a new craft! :) You would need to make paper, find different inks and writing styles.
    Create riddles and attach prizes to the notes scattered around the world!
    Would create a new facet for exploration!

Excellent ideas! I am worried though that it would need to be carefully monitered. Nobody want's this to become a want to be Renaissance Fair and less a game, and what's worse is that the content involved would need to be preapproved, we don't want the dreaded "F-Bomb" being carted out every 20 F-ing minutes now do we?

Maybe ZOS could get together a specific team devoted to this task, lore masters (that is if they haven't already) and they could edit the content. if anything this would help generate a lot of new ideas for additional content and story archs! Boom, I think you and I just revolutionized gaming.

• GrimCyclone
    GrimCyclone
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds cool.
  • ServerusEcru
    ServerusEcru
    ✭✭✭
    Great ideas, guys! And keep the ideas coming. I would love for this thread to get into Zos' hands. And ThePageMaster, thank you for your support! Keep us informed with any news you find out about making this vision happen.

~Serverus
    "Train your opponent to make the wrong response." — The Book of Circles, By Loredas Maxims
  • Greg
    Greg
    ✭✭✭
    I was thinking about something like that however i thought it would be cool if there could be actual libraries full of player written books, it could b in the basement of the mages guild, or built into the side of a mountain, or hidden behind a labyrinth, or a quest unlocked area. so yeah
  • Nycthemeral
    Nycthemeral
    Soul Shriven
    I love this idea! Maybe we could compile a thread of IC books and journals and present it to ZOS. Greg's suggestion of one specific location makes sense (though I'd love to leave/come across player journals in some of the more secluded parts of Tamriel).
  • ThePageMaster
    Just an update. I submitted a pretty good feedback ticket about this using a template of who, what, when and how this would work/effect. It's being reviewed they said. Now, I would encourage everyone to do likewise because obviously the more the merrier when it comes to letting them know this is something that inetersts a few people.

For anybody that has an interest in RP this is surely a must for the game? I mean it's too creative a tool to be ignored. I am cautiously excited with my hopes for this. :D

• ServerusEcru
    ServerusEcru
    ✭✭✭
    That's awesome ThePageMaster! I appreciate you getting this out to them. The idea now is to be patient and try to get this thread to all of the RP gamers and Elder Scrolls communities, that you can think of! :wink:
    Edited by ServerusEcru on June 26, 2014 3:42PM
  • theresagamerb14a_ESO
    theresagamerb14a_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I think this is an Excellent idea! I would love to see this added into ESO. It would be very interesting to see what others would write in books :)
  • Auralia
    Auralia
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, awesome idea. ESO needs more deep and meaningful features like this.
  • TheHumanFloyd
    TheHumanFloyd
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love to see this!
  • Teiji
    Teiji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just consulted a search engine - there's another MMO that had player-written books which could be be placed within your home where other people could come along and read it.

This would be great if it was ever implemented in this game - I'd love to have this included with player-housing in the future.

Really going to be good when people go into my characters residence then go to read her most important book -

FJf5chA.png
    There's several other pages but yes - I may have been inspired by this thread to daedric script a lot of text.
    Edited by Teiji on September 15, 2014 9:23PM
    "Serving Boethiah is Freedom, embracing heroism is Liberty, existing solely for noxiphilic sanguivoria is truth." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

European megaserver Fallout 4

Loyalist of Boethiah, heroism enthusiast, exposer of secrets, bless'ed of noxiphilic sanguivoria.

Nerf one grind, two more take its place; hail Gryndra!

I am a dank memer and satire enthusiast