The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Templar Update

• tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone with a templar at veteran rank spent a small fortune yet respeccing from Biting Jabs to Puncturing Sweep, and if so, what did you think of the trade-off from increased crit chance to self-healing? As there wasn't a skill point refund I am curious on players' views on whether the switch is worth it.
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • monden1980b16_ESO
    monden1980b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone with a templar at veteran rank spent a small fortune yet respeccing from Biting Jabs to Puncturing Sweep, and if so, what did you think of the trade-off from increased crit chance to self-healing? As there wasn't a skill point refund I am curious on players' views on whether the switch is worth it.

Depends how you use it.

Health return from Puncturing Sweep works fine (stated 40% damage are returned as health, tested this, and as far as I observed it, it works also if you hit several mobs/players at once). So, it helps to stay alive a bit longer and maybe save some magicka you would otherwise use on self heals => more "tanky, paladin type"

If you mainly want to use it as a powerful finisher, better stay with Biting Jabs (huge crit chance increase vs. low health targets).

I decided to respec to Puncturing Sweep and don't regret it... but consider that it probably won't save you from hard hitting mobs or in PvP... the heal is nice and helps a bit, but not strong enough to be invincible ;)

• grizzbi
    grizzbi
    ✭✭✭
    My feedback after the patch 1.2.3

First of: the weapon swap change is awesome. It really helps!
    Now for the templar:

Blazing Spear (Spear Shards morph): Moderately increased this ability’s damage over time.
    Barely noticeable. The proc from the passive is still the main reason to use this skill, dps wise.

Empowering Sweep (Radial Sweep morph): This Ultimate ability now gives 15% damage reduction and +4% damage reduction for each target hit instead of increasing your armor.

Very good move. Looks very good on paper. Against a small group of mob it's ok. But It can become really interesting to tank large group of trash mobs in dungeons.

Piercing Spear: This passive now adds a melee critical strike in addition to a spell critical strike when using spear abilities.

Noticeable in the combat log for the ability from aedric spears using melee critical instead of magicka. It was needed. It's only good to enhance an existing already good critical rate. Good for Medium armor and/or with weapon critical potions.

Puncturing Sweep (Puncturing Strikes morph): This ability will now heal you based on the damage done.

Puncturing sweep is now powerful and could rapidly become the cornerstone of melee templar builds. And I hate that idea. It's a strong ability in PVE against trash mobs. And it will please lazy people. Spamming this single ability will be more efficient than 90% of builds combining 5 or 10 abilities... It will certainly please the DPS crowd.. But, when spamming one ability is better than anything else, you know that there's a problem. Now we could get stuck as a one trick poney class, and further enhancement to other skills could become non-existent or very low to NOT make us overpowered.

I would tone down the heal but make sure that the whole skill (and not only the first hit) can be enhanced by other skills/ armor set etc... People should be able to build around this ability. But the whole class shouldn't be balanced around Puncturing Sweep.

Blinding Flashes (Blinding Light morph): Increased this ability’s duration. Also, monsters knocked off balance by Blinding Flashes will only display their knockback animation once.

Very good. The increased duration is very welcome. Now the ability can be placed on the second skill bar and the increased duration partially balances the high cost.

Dark Flare (Solar Flare morph): This ability now scales in damage from ranks I-IV.
    Solar Flare: Slightly reduced the cast time for this ability from 1.5 seconds to 1.3 seconds.

I suppose it helps a little for the DPS builds.It's a good opener, but with a 1s cast time it would still be far from overpowered and would make it slightly more interesting in spell/abilities rotation, during the fight.

Sunfire: This ability’s damage-over-time now lasts 1 additional second, and deals 10% more damage.

Sunfire is a good ability because it's instant. and the 2 morphs are different and interesting. But overall, DOTs need to be much more stronger. 10% is ok for an instant skill, but for a dot it's almost nothing.

Nova: This ability can now deal critical strikes, and the damage-per-tick has been increased by 20%.
    Solar Disturbance (Nova morph): This ability now scales in damage from ranks I-IV, and now snares your targets by 60% at all ranks.

This Ultimate was already good even if it is very expensive...the damage increase is welcome...but the snare improvement won't probably be enough to keep the targets in the area. You could add a 2 sec immobilization at the start. Then the snare, maybe with a lower duration..It should help to apply the damage and make it more efficient in PvP in regard of its high cost.

Cleansing Ritual: Decreased this ability’s particle effects in an effort to make other effects easier to see.

Very good idea. I think that templar have too many lightning/particle effects tied to their skills. Please continue to make them more subtle and less flashy.

Rite of Passage: This Ultimate ability is now capable of critical strikes and will make you immune to crowd-control while channeling it.
    Remembrance (Rite of Passage morph): The damage reduction buff now perists for the duration of the channel. The tooltip has been updated to reflect this.

Very good. This ultimate is even more interesting to use for all the different builds. But the morphs could have slightly different orientations/utility.

Repentance (Restoring Aura morph): This ability’s beam effect no longer plays a second time if you re-approach the corpse after going out-of-range.

Very nice, it was...weird. Anyway the basic skill - Restoring Aura - is still badly designed. Even an initially low HP/Stam regen build doesn't have a high benefit from it during a fight. And most people are close the the soft cap. In that case, the ability is close to useless. Even on the second skill bar, there will always be a better replacement skill, whatever is your build.

Ritual of Rebirth: This ability now heals you (the caster) for the same value as the other morph, Lingering Ritual.

Bad idea. Many templar use this heal to guarantee a self heal (tank, PvP, etc..). I used to like the risk (cast time vulnerability) versus reward (increased heal). Before using this skill, the templar has to use magicka for a CC, stamina to sprint/dodge, or he will potentially take a lot of damage during the cast time. More self healing was the reward. This nerf was not needed.

Now for the possible undocumented change: Did you change anything to blazing shield? It definitely does less damage.

Or maybe it's just me because I've changed my build...And I don't want to spread false rumor...

Anyway, if you "fixed it", it can hurt many builds. And, as templar, we do need more build diversity. Here again, Puncturing sweep should not be mandatory to dps AND survive at a reasonable cost. Blazing shield was interesting in that regard. If you decide to remove this from our class, please give us proper resource management capabilities.

I hope a lot of Templar will bring many different and detailed feedback so that you can continue to improve this awesome class. There's still some work, but I'm glad to see things moving.

Sorry for my bad English.
  • NerfEverything
    NerfEverything
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ARtChi wrote: »
    Our Dps has raised greatly since last patch.

I ran a few tests yesterday on some R9 Trolls in Easternmarch :

TempDPS.jpg

1,2,3 : Punctunring sweep only : ~400 dps
    4,5,6 : Puncturing sweep + Vampire ban : ~500 dps
    7 : Puncturing sweep + Vampire ban + blazing spear : ~600 dps

I'm not stuffed dps and I don't use bitting jabs (so no execute distortion in this tests), just magika management oriented with healing staff. I think 500 dps is easly sustainable in a long run fight now. With equilibrium and proper stuff even 600+ is possible. Still far away from DK but not so bad :)

I also ran some tests with destruction staff on mono target in dungeon :
    Medium attack / interupt cast with force shock / vampire ban cycle go over 500 dps with no mana management issue.

Nova is really (too) strong now. We did crypt of hearts with another templar, 2 novas just destroy every packs of mobs. And with the use of vampire ban and some healing, it goes up really nicely.

I didn't test PvP since it was over laggy, but I believe templar is truelly OP now. Overall a great patch for our class, let's just wait for our nerf now :p

I'm seeing similar dps numbers. Glad we are finally viable.

And nova is fine. Right where it needs to be. Don't forget it is the most expensive ultimate of all the classes. Look at all the other classes ultimates cost/damage ratio and nova is right in line.

Templar is by no means OP. Still major resource management issues and noticeably lower dps than all other classes.. But at least we will be welcome in trials now.
    Edited by NerfEverything on June 27, 2014 6:14PM
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone know the area difference between Biting Jabs and Puncturing Sweep? What does "in a large cone mean" for Puncturing Sweep? How is it different from the area covered by Biting Jabs?
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you mainly want to use it as a powerful finisher, better stay with Biting Jabs (huge crit chance increase vs. low health targets).

I decided to respec to Puncturing Sweep and don't regret it... but consider that it probably won't save you from hard hitting mobs or in PvP... the heal is nice and helps a bit, but not strong enough to be invincible ;)

I was just wondering about the value of health return vs crit chance, so your comments are helpful. I have no interest in being invincible, but I do sometimes get in a situation where I have to decide whether to use the last of my magicka for a heal or a finisher like Jabs.

Edited by tinythinker on June 27, 2014 8:33PM
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • geofhob14_ESO
    geofhob14_ESO
    ✭✭
    Lol, no point in nerfing the new "healing jabs". Its not going to make Templars a one trick pony because the one trick pony spell for the end game is POTL and Dark Flare...

Leave the healing jabbers alone so they can finish some quests...
    Edited by geofhob14_ESO on June 27, 2014 8:57PM
  • JLB
    JLB
    ✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't change much in PvP, because it's all about movement and stunning and dodging and a lots of ranged combat. I'm actually thinking about respeccing back to Biting Jaws because the extra crit chance on low targets is seemed more valuable in my experience.

Regarding DPS, we are still way behind all classes. I don't know what's the drill with those parses shown? They are very low parses, those parses could be easily done pre 1.2.3., maybe instead of 450dps now you can do 500dps, that's all.
    That's fine with me, don't get me wrong, as long as we get some love in Templars' major flaw: 0 resource management.
  • monden1980b16_ESO
    monden1980b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭

I was just wondering about the value of health return vs crit chance, so your comments are helpful. I have no interest in being invincible, but I do sometimes get in a situation where I have to decide whether to use the last of my magicka for a heal or a finisher like Jabs.

That's exactly where it helps a BIT.

• CaptainSilverbrow
    CaptainSilverbrow
    ✭✭✭
    Hi folks,

We hear you loud and clear about the need for resource management improvements for Templars. We're looking into what we can do there, too, and appreciate your suggestions.

Zomg, I can't wait to see what's on the horizon here. Thanks for connecting with us about this! It's a vote of confidence for sure.
  • therasia2_ESO
    therasia2_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Thank-you for adjusting the Templar's skills. I have been playing the Templar since the beginning of Beta and currently. I have found that I always run out of magika before I can really give any damage; since the update the character now fights more efficiently and is able to reduce the opponents health to a more manageable level. I will continue to monitor and report on my characters performance....so far I am very pleased with the improvements. Thanks!
  • SilverWF
    SilverWF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar now unkillabled IMBA
    3 Templars (or 2 T and 1 DK) in heavy with shields able to stay under 6-8 enemies, who didn't have this specs. And not only stay, but kill them too!
    Zenimax Balance - always so cool...
    • PC EU. Ebonheart Pact. CP 1k+
    • YouTube: All ESO disguises (2014)
    • EU players are humans too! We want our maintenances in the least pop time (at deep night) and not lasted for several hours!
    • Animation canceR - is true PvP cancer! When you can't see which actions your opponent do - you can't react properly on them!
  • Zrakie
    Zrakie
    ✭✭
    Blazing Shield is not working properly after the patch.

I did some testing and no matter how many mobs was near me the damage it returns stayed the same whether it was 1 or 6 mobs. The shield seems to return a set amount of damage (damage varies with mob/npc types)

Tested it on wolves, damage done to each was 367 or 551 with critical whether it was one or 6.

Also tested it on some npc's, damage done was 348 or 551 with critical.

My health is 2431 and the shield should return damage based on the shield strength, so anything beetween 34-50% of my health and 53% of that amount should be returned so I should see some variation beetween the damage numbers based on how many mobs there are.

Also I would like to point out that the shield sometime's does not hit all the targets even tho they are basically hugging me so this seems to be a bug as well rather than range issue. (I know the AoE cap is 6 targets but this seems to happen with only 2-3 mobs as well.)
    Edited by Zrakie on July 2, 2014 3:44AM
    "Templar's brew is The Divine Tonic."
  • tplink3r1
    tplink3r1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mortosk wrote: »
    Solar barrage is really good and very underrated.

Is cheap, instant, does 250 damage AoE, more if you are magicka spec, ads 60 Power (weapon/spell) on the next hit to be received by affected from the AoE.

Can spam cast and barely notice the magicka. Very very good in Cyrodiil when your team is trying to cast AoE.

To give you a perspective. 60 power is 30% base damage bonus if you are V8. Add all passives, crit damage, damage bonuses, and gets insane.

Make the power last for 2 seconds instead of next attack and it would be a nice ability to use. Until they change that ability ill stick to something else.

I totally agree, and actually suggested this in another post. Can't even use this ability with biting jabs because it only effects the first jab.

It should be a timed buff that lasts a few seconds. 6 seconds seems to be a popular theme with Templar skills. In this case it would work.
    it does not affect any of the 4 jabs.
    VR16 Templar
    VR3 Sorcerer
  • tplink3r1
    tplink3r1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zrakie wrote: »

I did some testing and no matter how many mobs was near me the damage it returns stayed the same whether it was 1 or 6 mobs. The shield seems to return a set amount of damage (damage varies with mob/npc types)

Tested it on wolves, damage done to each was 367 or 551 with critical whether it was one or 6.

My health is 2431 and the shield should return damage based on the shield strength, so anything beetween 34-50% of my health and 53% of that amount should be returned so I should see some variation beetween the damage numbers based on how many mobs there are.

Also I would like to point out that the shield sometime's does not hit all the targets even tho they are basically hugging me so this seems to be a bug as well rather than range issue. (I know the AoE cap is 6 targets but this seems to happen with only 2-3 mobs as well.)

blazing shield never worked like tooltip states, it was always like that.
    VR16 Templar
    VR3 Sorcerer
  • Raizin
    Raizin
    ✭✭✭✭
    until they do smthing with templars passives... i dont rly care ...
    HellSeesYou = v16/AD/Rank 37-Former emp/EU TB-AZura(Old Auriels Bow badass) ___ Vampire Templar/Resto/Destro staff user from Banana squad
    HellSeesAll - v16/EP/Rank 19 Magicka NB/Necrotic Lag member
    HellSeesUs - v16/AD/Rank 18 Stamina Templar
  • monden1980b16_ESO
    monden1980b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry I have to say this, but my vet 12 templar (medium armor, stamina/magicka hybrid, bow+swoard/board, intended to be a dps character with some survivability with backup healing) feels still very weak.

I hear from people that NBs can pull of over 1000 dps burst damage now... I can barely reach 500 dps burst damage for the initial 2 seconds... sustained damage is below 300 dps. NB are capable to kill me almost instantly in PvP while I can only scrape them (their self healing capabilities are enough to heal my damage away). Sorcs dish out about 100% more damage than me, and I won't talk about DK (you all know they are like a "premium class")

Yeah, I know, this sounds like a whine, but I actually don't know what to do... experimented with different setups, I consider myself as an experienced (PvP) player and I'm wearing purpe armor sets and accessory, yellow weapons, all enchanted with yellow glyphs, all main stats are at soft cap or at least near soft cap... so I don't think it's due to bad equipment.

Not all Templar players want to be forced to play a healer type. Some (like me) wanted to be more a damage dealer with some survivability, other maybe wanted to be more tanky / paladin type. But now it looks like other classes can do everything better.

Yes, old story, it was discussed long ago. I just want to know if playing my vet12 Templar has any future? Are there more changes and improvements coming to bring us in line with other classes? Or should I get my vet1 DK (which I don't like playing, too easy in PvE and everyone plays one in PvP) to vet12 ?
  • kungmoo
    kungmoo
    ✭✭✭
    any update on if templars are getting some kind of magicka management skill?
    Some men are alive simply because it is against the law to kill them. -Edward W. Howe
  • JamilaRaj
    JamilaRaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would rather not get kind of magicka management skill. Magicka in exchange for 20% of action bar would be just as crippling as no magicka, if not more (and, on higher level, getting not all that useful boost would be worse than getting none, as in latter case there would still be something to look forward).

Anyway, I find no magicka regeneration associated with Sun Shield bit too harsh. Not that Sun Shield is unusable that way, but a) I take hit where it hurts most and b) ironically, the higher the base magicka regeneration I have, the harder I am being hit. Conversely, reduced but not flat out zeroed magicka regeneration would increase damage output (in certain scenarios) and magicka available.
  • GTech_1
    GTech_1
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would rather have across the board cost reductions for magicka based Templar skills, and one active magicka regen skill that did not require a morph to get the regen.
    As for the cost reductions, even if it came in the form of a (high performance) passive skill, it would be better than what we have now.

And as a Templar tank, I love the Puncturing Sweep change, but I would sure like to have *something* else to hit (in the Templar trees) other than Puncturing Sweep, that would do some damage. Preferably an instant cast single target attack.
    "Light's Hammer" or something.
    Puncturing Sweep "spam" gets pretty old after a short time. It's good, and it works, but it's just not very interesting.
  • JLB
    JLB
    ✭✭✭✭
    Idared wrote: »
    I would rather not get kind of magicka management skill. Magicka in exchange for 20% of action bar would be just as crippling as no magicka, if not more (and, on higher level, getting not all that useful boost would be worse than getting none, as in latter case there would still be something to look forward).
    Totally agree with you, it should be through passives mainly, although fixing abilities here and there like Honor the Dead or boosting Channeled Focus or even implementing magicka return on other skills from one line, would definitely help too.
    Idared wrote: »
    Anyway, I find no magicka regeneration associated with Sun Shield bit too harsh. Not that Sun Shield is unusable that way, but a) I take hit where it hurts most and b) ironically, the higher the base magicka regeneration I have, the harder I am being hit. Conversely, reduced but not flat out zeroed magicka regeneration would increase damage output (in certain scenarios) and magicka available.

This is the funny part, that penatly wouldn't be so bad if the class had a great magicka management like it had in Beta. It makes sense on how the class was before launch.
    But as the class is now, I agree the penalty is too extreme.
  • Mumyo
    Mumyo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know these issues from other games. The class most OP on release will remain so.
    That's my experience with every mmo.
    10% dmg buff on a useless pvp skill shows me that they dont understand anything.
    Play anything else if u wanna have some fun
  • ARtChi
    ARtChi
    ✭✭✭
    Bunch of cry babies here

Templar is really fine where it stands at the moment.

In PvP, templar is one of the best duelist in the game. very usefull as healer, tank, fine as DD.
    In PvE, templar is perfectly fine as tank and healer. Regardind damage, the templar is still a little bit below other classes, but dps build is far from ridiculous, and can deal very good damage overall when played properly.

Any other considerations regarding stamina build and templar in heavy armor is not a templar issue, but a meta game problem.

The only requirement would be a little bit more magika regen, but in my opinion it's not so much an issue anymore : With warlock set (head, shoulders, chest) and reduction cost of spells on jewelry, I basically have no magika problem in PvE now (in trials or any dungeon).

Please let's not forget that if you are unable to heal your group because you are running low on magika is just because your group is slacking in aoe and playing bad, not because you don't have enough magika.
  • monden1980b16_ESO
    monden1980b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Bunch of cry babies here

Templar is really fine where it stands at the moment.

In PvP, templar is one of the best duelist in the game. very usefull as healer, tank, fine as DD.
    In PvE, templar is perfectly fine as tank and healer. Regardind damage, the templar is still a little bit below other classes, but dps build is far from ridiculous, and can deal very good damage overall when played properly.

Templar is still overshadowed by other classes regarding most roles (tank, DPS, healer).

I really try do play my templar as a DPS, but I'm nowhere near a DK (puts out more DPS while even harder to kill than a Templar). Sorcs and NB deal much higher single target damage, too.

Next thing I'll try is playing as a healer/supporter, but I'm not very confident that it will work well, as first tests showed that I run out of magicka rather quickly.

Tank I haven't tried yet, as it's obvious that DK is the better choice if you want to try a tank.

Notice: I speak of PvP (PvE does not interest me, I go there to level skills and get skill points...)
  • JLB
    JLB
    ✭✭✭✭
    tplink3r1 wrote: »

I'm getting the same steady results on Blazing Shield aswell, normal hits for 350ish, crits for 500ish, no matter how many enemies are nearby.
    If it's not a tooltip mistake, would be really interesting to see it fixed.
    Can't wait to see Devs' approach on templars updates soon.
  • ARtChi
    ARtChi
    ✭✭✭
    Templar is still overshadowed by other classes regarding most roles (tank, DPS, healer).

I really try do play my templar as a DPS, but I'm nowhere near a DK (puts out more DPS while even harder to kill than a Templar). Sorcs and NB deal much higher single target damage, too.

Next thing I'll try is playing as a healer/supporter, but I'm not very confident that it will work well, as first tests showed that I run out of magicka rather quickly.

Tank I haven't tried yet, as it's obvious that DK is the better choice if you want to try a tank.

It's obvious you didn't try hard enough. Speak about your experience, not about things you don't know about and just guessing please

Just use Nova on a full band of 24 players, then jump in with sunshield and pulsar... you'll see if you do no damage...
    Power of light coupled with soul strike = OS
    No other class can do that !

Templar has the best healing skill in PvP with its flash heal and some really impressive defense skill for tanking (sunshield, channeled focus, aedric spear ult, healingjab, etc.)

If you run out of mana, it's just because you are not properly stuffed (i.e. cloth armor, warlock set, cost reduction on jewelry, magika pots). You can blame meta game for that but not templar.

May be it's not the way you see your classe, but templar is really good in PvP.
  • david.haypreub18_ESO
    david.haypreub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A question for all you Templars: I have Nova on my bar (morphed to Solar Prism), but I'm just not seeing what some people think is so awesome about it. Firstly, it is very expensive. Secondly, it seems to pale in comparison to the DKs standard (which is actually cheaper), especially since you can't root people in the area; they can just easily get out of it (seeing that Templars don't have an AoE root like Talons).

Am I using it wrong? I usually fire it away at a distance as a zerg charges at me. Should I be dropping it on myself, or getting my allies to hit the synergy more often? I'm just not really seeing the attraction right now. This is not a whine-- I'm honestly asking how I can make this work for me.
    Edited by david.haypreub18_ESO on July 3, 2014 4:22PM
    Templars are 'just slower... by design'
    Yes, Gina actually said that (at least regarding Rushed Ceremony) right here:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/161959/templar-skills-bugged-made-useless-ignored/p24
    VR 16 Templar (retired until Templars get fixed)
    VR 16 Sorcerer
    38 Nightblade
    24 DK
  • JLB
    JLB
    ✭✭✭✭
    A question for all you Templars: I have Nova on my bar (morphed to Solar Prism), but I'm just not seeing what some people think is so awesome about it. Firstly, it is very expensive. Secondly, it seems to pale in comparison to the DKs standard (which is actually cheaper), especially since you can't root people in the area; they can just easily get out of it (seeing that Templars don't have an AoE root like Talons).

Am I using it wrong? I usually fire it away at a distance as a zerg charges at me. Should I be dropping it on myself, or getting my allies to hit the synergy more often? I'm just not really seeing the attraction right now. This is not a whine-- I'm honestly asking how I can make this work for me.

I would definitely throw it on myself whenever I'm being overrun to have a little more time to react, but it's like Standard, players can roll away from it.
    Or just follow a DK and wait until he drops his Talons, you shouldn't have to wait for too long :wink:
    In any case I rarely use it because of the expensive cost, I find more useful Empowering Sweep, Soul Assault and Remembrance in general for PvP.
  • monden1980b16_ESO
    monden1980b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭

It's obvious you didn't try hard enough. Speak about your experience, not about things you don't know about and just guessing please

Just use Nova on a full band of 24 players, then jump in with sunshield and pulsar... you'll see if you do no damage...
    Power of light coupled with soul strike = OS
    No other class can do that !

Templar has the best healing skill in PvP with its flash heal and some really impressive defense skill for tanking (sunshield, channeled focus, aedric spear ult, healingjab, etc.)

If you run out of mana, it's just because you are not properly stuffed (i.e. cloth armor, warlock set, cost reduction on jewelry, magika pots). You can blame meta game for that but not templar.

May be it's not the way you see your classe, but templar is really good in PvP.

Yes, you are right, it's not how I see my class (and yes, maybe I should make use of cloth armor+destro/resto combo like many other classes)... but I don't want to follow this trend.

And I'm pretty sure, DK will still be superior (don't want to argue about that now... there are literally hundreds of posts)

It's not so easy to drop Nova on a bunch of players (BTW: Do you play a Templar yourself?) and take full effect out of this (very expensive!) ability, as players will easily move out (Templar has no PBAE root, stun, whatever).

Other "OP" skills you mentioned are quite expensive and burn a lot of magicka... DK can take full effect out of its arsenal... Templar has always to decide wether to use this or that ability: mitigate damage OR heal yourself up OR deal damage. DK seem to be able to do all at once, for a pretty long time (and don't even need light armor + staff for this, they do it with heavy armor and shield up)

Please don't state that I speak of things I don't know... I have a vet 2 DK as well, he's strong in PvP (wears random drop armor but is stronger than my vet 12 Templar)... but I don't enjoy to be one of hundreds spamming the same skills
    Edited by monden1980b16_ESO on July 3, 2014 9:20PM
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JLB wrote: »
    tplink3r1 wrote: »

I'm getting the same steady results on Blazing Shield aswell, normal hits for 350ish, crits for 500ish, no matter how many enemies are nearby.
    If it's not a tooltip mistake, would be really interesting to see it fixed.
    Can't wait to see Devs' approach on templars updates soon.

It's because the shield strength does not increase on cast like the tooltip says it should do per enemy around you. If you use a mod that shows a numerical figure for shield strength you can see it is always just the flat 30% of max health.

So assuming the shield goes pop from full depletion, the amount will always be the same.