The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

1k armor vs 2k armor

crislevin
crislevin
✭✭✭✭✭
Exactly how much more damage is 2k armor absorbing comparing to 1k?
  • Valn
    Valn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tested it against a V9 Timber Mammoth

Full stats (bad i know)
    34flizk.jpg

Damage
    2gy8654.jpg

Reduced stats

jfc96u.jpg

Damage
    (first 2 hits were heavy attacks)
    15z1edc.jpg

1310 armor absorbs 9 damage or about 4% with this test.

EDIT: NAKED TEST

300 armor from nord racial
    w1fb5h.jpg

mtkpcw.jpg
    Edited by Valn on June 18, 2014 12:29AM
  • crislevin
    crislevin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks

If this is correct in most cases, that 1k armour just doesn't seem to do much.

btw, whats that 407 vs 538?
  • Valn
    Valn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone tested it themselves?
    Edited by Valn on June 18, 2014 12:06AM
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    crislevin wrote: »
    Thanks

If I had to guess, critical strikes. You're seeing a bigger difference there, but hard to tell if that's due to the extra armor, or due to a trait or something.

Edit: well I guess they where heavy attacks. It's still a much bigger difference, but still doesn't seem worth the additional armor if that difference is light versus heavy armor.

Edited by driosketch on June 18, 2014 12:11AM
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • crislevin
    crislevin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol, now I wonder if strip naked would be just fine. Interesting.
  • Worstluck
    Worstluck
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had assumed that 100 armor provides 1% mitigation against physical attacks (so 1000 armor would be 10%) That kind of sucks if it's really that low...
    Worstluck - Breton Nightblade "Some of us refused to bow. We knew the old ways would lead us back to having a kingdom of our own."
    ―Madanach
    Elfluck - Dunmer Dragonknight "When I will walk the earth again, the Faithful among you shall receive your reward: to be set above all other mortals forever. As for the rest: the weak shall be winnowed: the timid shall be cast down: the mighty shall tremble at my feet and pray for pardon."
    ―Mehrunes Dagon
    Deadluck -Imperial Templar "Men are but flesh and blood. They know their doom, but not the hour"
    ―Uriel Septim

Daggerfall Covenant
  • Valn
    Valn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    driosketch wrote: »
    crislevin wrote: »
    Thanks

If I had to guess, critical strikes. You're seeing a bigger difference there, but hard to tell if that's due to the extra armor, or due to a trait or something.

All of my armor has inpenetrable trait, so i lost a good amount of critical resistance after taking it off, which is probably why i got hit 538. But as you can see the armor has almost no affect on the light attack damage.
    Edited by Valn on June 18, 2014 12:10AM
  • Amsel_McKay
    Amsel_McKay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you do a naked test and block? I bet it will be better then heavy armor.
  • monkeymystic
    monkeymystic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Valn wrote: »
    Tested it against a V9 Timber Mammoth

Full stats (bad i know)
    34flizk.jpg

Damage
    2gy8654.jpg

Reduced stats

jfc96u.jpg

Damage
    (first 2 hits were heavy attacks)
    15z1edc.jpg

1310 armor absorbs 9 damage or about 4% with this test.

Hope that helps.

ZOS really screwed heavy armor users over...
  • Valn
    Valn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Naked Test

Being a Nord I have 300 armor from my racial passives.

w1fb5h.jpg

Damage

mtkpcw.jpg

There you go.
  • cubansyrusb16_ESO
    cubansyrusb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Heavy armour is pointless you can remove all your armour leaving weapon and accessories and carry on playing as if you was geared.

• Tankqull
    Tankqull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    intresting....
    spelling and grammar errors are free to be abused

Sallington wrote: »
    Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!"

• crislevin
    crislevin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i felt bad now for sorcs wearing bound armours, seems damage shield is much more effective.
  • Valn
    Valn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tested it on a bunch of V11 mobs. First picture is with full gear, 2nd is naked.

2ch6t0n.jpg

2ziomtf.jpg

Seems like the armor only applies when the mob is near your level. My first test was on a V9 mob, these were on V11.

They hit 111 less melee damage when I add 1927 armor on this test. Keep in mind this is only from melee, I don't know if spell reduction works either.
    Edited by Valn on July 5, 2014 5:13PM
  • crislevin
    crislevin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    well, even on V11 mobs, 2k armour only reduce damage by ~100, so its 50/1k.

so a 500pt damage shield worth 10k armour....
  • Valn
    Valn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    double post
    Edited by Valn on June 18, 2014 12:45AM
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, this is appalling.
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • hamon
    hamon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    its been obvious armour mitigation is utter fail in this game for ages, hence why light armour mages in this game have no problem standing in large groups of mobs spamming impulse... light armour should be for ranged fighting as in melee range you get mashed fast..

every other game armour makes sense but in ESO .. its just fecked .
    Edited by hamon on June 18, 2014 12:55AM
  • subecsanur
    subecsanur
    ✭✭✭

Naked Test

w1fb5h.jpg

Damage

mtkpcw.jpg

There you go.

Shows how much of a waste into investing into armor, heavy armor or even any armor buffs.

Can we show any comparison for melee vs spell damage?
  • Worstluck
    Worstluck
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah that's really disheartening. When you wear heavy armor, you are sacrificing quite a bit of damage/regen/etc and if it doesn't provide adequate mitigation, there is no point in using it...
    Edited by Worstluck on June 18, 2014 12:55AM
    Worstluck - Breton Nightblade "Some of us refused to bow. We knew the old ways would lead us back to having a kingdom of our own."
    ―Madanach
    Elfluck - Dunmer Dragonknight "When I will walk the earth again, the Faithful among you shall receive your reward: to be set above all other mortals forever. As for the rest: the weak shall be winnowed: the timid shall be cast down: the mighty shall tremble at my feet and pray for pardon."
    ―Mehrunes Dagon
    Deadluck -Imperial Templar "Men are but flesh and blood. They know their doom, but not the hour"
    ―Uriel Septim

Daggerfall Covenant
  • Gisgo
    Gisgo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    2ch6t0n.jpg

2ziomtf.jpg

Thats a pretty big difference.
    Why is everyone screaming "broken"?

Edited by Gisgo on June 18, 2014 12:57AM
  • crislevin
    crislevin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    more pathetically, no Tamriel heroes can do light attack with that kind of damage.

Mobs are always better than players, lol
  • hamon
    hamon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Worstluck wrote: »
    Yeah that's really disheartening. When you wear heavy armor, you are sacrificing quite a bit of damage/regen/etc and if it doesn't provide adequate mitigation, there is no point in using it...

yep its one of the critical faulures of ESO. its why everyone is wearing light.. why you dont need proper tanks for groups stuff.
    its a core mechanic thats just so broken its not even funny.

• crislevin
    crislevin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    subecsanur wrote: »

Naked Test

w1fb5h.jpg

Damage

mtkpcw.jpg

There you go.

Shows how much of a waste into investing into armor, heavy armor or even any armor buffs.

Can we show any comparison for melee vs spell damage?
    i was apparently wasting all my money in crafting things every time I levels.lol
  • SoulScream
    SoulScream
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yikes :(
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    :(
  • Valn
    Valn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gisgo wrote: »
    2ch6t0n.jpg

2ziomtf.jpg

I dont actually know if its broken or not. Maybe the level difference means it can only hit a certain amount on me, however my armor level made almost no affect on the damage it hit at V9.

The V9 was hitting me for 224 when I had full gear on
    The V11 was hitting me for 235 when I had full gear on

When I took my armor off

V9 was hitting me for 236
    V11 was hitting me for 346.

If the V11 were hitting me for 47% less when I had armor on, how come the V9 was only hitting me 4% less with armor on? Again, is this due to level difference?

And we also have to consider if the V9 was scaled to V11, would it hit higher? What are the mobs armor penetration? Do they have any? It's all very confusing, and I would love some dev explaination.

Think of it this way

When I took of my armor I lost health, lets assume my health is the same for both

2227 armor
    I had 2254 health. They have to hit me 9.5 times to kill me hitting 235

300 armor

2254 health. They have to hit me 6.5 times to kill me hitting 346

With an additional 1927 armor, i'm reducing their light attacks against me by 47%. But still, Craglorn is impossible to solo with a stamina build :D
    Edited by Valn on June 18, 2014 1:23AM
  • Gisgo
    Gisgo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its confusing but if there is anything broken to me its the damage the VR9 mobs are doing, not the armor's damage reduction that is working fine against the VR11 mob.
    Edited by Gisgo on June 18, 2014 1:18AM
  • hamon
    hamon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gisgo wrote: »
    2ch6t0n.jpg

2ziomtf.jpg

I dont actually know if its broken or not. Maybe the level difference means it can only hit a certain amount on me, however my armor level made almost no affect on the damage it hit at V9.

The V9 was hitting me for 224 when I had full gear on
    The V11 was hitting me for 235 when I had full gear on

When I took my armor off

V9 was hitting me for 236
    V11 was hitting me for 346.

If the V11 were hitting me for 47% less when I had armor on, how come the V9 was only hitting me 4% less with armor on? Again, is this due to level difference?

And we also have to consider if the V9 was scaled to V11, would it hit higher? What are the mobs armor penetration? Do they have any? It's all very confusing, and I would love some dev explaination.

just a thought but the v11's would be craglorn? those mobs seem to work correctly in general while the mobs are borked in vet 5-10 zones. remember they accidently buffed them in patch 1.1.2 and supposedly hotfixed it back but it made no diffrence.. they probably buffed them to 90% armour pen or soemthing ***

• Amsel_McKay
    Amsel_McKay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A tank templar build with S&B I think light armor is better because you do DPS hold agro and have more magic resist then heavy (majority of attacks).