The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Why are people using cloth+destro staff DK?

Elyna
Elyna
✭✭✭✭
Its garbage. I have died so much more using it than I have using duel wield heavy DK. Please tell me why people like this set up so much.
  • Tankqull
    Tankqull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    because it deals 10x more dmg than any other weapon setup. bit of exeggaration here but 3-5x times is actually true. especially when fights last longer than 5 attacks ...
    Edited by Tankqull on June 8, 2014 6:44PM
    spelling and grammar errors are free to be abused

Sallington wrote: »
    Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!"

• Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because they read on the forums and in the guides that it is the only viable way to play a DK - that's my guess, at least :)

My DK is 7/7 medium armor with a 2H sword.
  • Elyna
    Elyna
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »
    Because they read on the forums and in the guides that it is the only viable way to play a DK - that's my guess, at least :)

I tried it, died 5 times in 2 minutes to trash mobs. Then I went back to my old set up. Instant improvement. Its almost like Destro DK is bad or something.
  • Maverick827
    Maverick827
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elyna wrote: »

I tried it, died 5 times in 2 minutes to trash mobs. Then I went back to my old set up. Instant improvement. Its almost like Destro DK is bad or something.
    User error.
  • Bromburak
    Bromburak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its garbage. I have died so much more using it than I have using duel wield heavy DK. Please tell me why people like this set up so much.

Because they narrow minded and like casual easy going anytimer builds ...
    Thats why they play DK in general!
    Edited by Bromburak on June 8, 2014 6:54PM
  • davidhorstub17_ESO
    davidhorstub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Dk can kill trash packs naked with a bow using spiked armor, cinder storm, and fragmented shield spam, doing it with heavy armor and daggers means nothing. If you want to squeeze the most dps out of your dk you use staves with light armor. Just because you dont have practice with it or not high enough levels to morph the skills doesnt mean its bad, its actually the best spec in the game. You can kill 30 mobs at once with the spec, solo group bosses with ease, and do top dps in your trial group, other dk specs cant do that.
  • GrimlockSaves
    GrimlockSaves
    ✭✭✭
    Bromburak wrote: »

I just have to say that's an extremely narrow minded comment.

The DK build is loosely preached as the only viable DK build end-game, but it is not. Everything really depends on the role you want to play and the skills you slot. A lot depends on the fact that melee is not that great when it comes to damage output and casters/ranged rule DPS.

If you're dieing more it's because you're squishy and can't play like you play with heavy armor. You need to slot different skills, move differently, place yourself differently in battle.
  • Bromburak
    Bromburak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bromburak wrote: »

I just have to say that's an extremely narrow minded comment.

The DK build is loosely preached as the only viable DK build end-game, but it is not.

Congratulations, welcome to reality!
  • WilliamTee
    WilliamTee
    ✭✭✭
    it's a temporary thing while zos work out that skill balance is probably a bigger issue than class balance.
  • Dagus
    Dagus
    ✭✭✭
    WilliamTee wrote: »
    it's a temporary thing while zos work out that skill balance is probably a bigger issue than class balance.

or that balance in and of itself is an issue greater than or equal to new content.
    RAWR!!!
  • Bromburak
    Bromburak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not really this would require significant higher soft caps and this is not the case. Thats why its still in progress and as Zenimax already confirmed a carefully one.
    Edited by Bromburak on June 8, 2014 7:53PM
  • tordr86b16_ESO
    tordr86b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1.4k aoe dps as vr12 that's why.
    Edited by tordr86b16_ESO on June 8, 2014 7:59PM
  • tordr86b16_ESO
    tordr86b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you drunk?
  • Elyna
    Elyna
    ✭✭✭✭

Are you drunk?

No. I just know trash builds when I see them.
    Edited by Elyna on June 8, 2014 8:25PM
  • Bromburak
    Bromburak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cause most of them only can handle the trash. ;)
    Edited by Bromburak on June 8, 2014 8:25PM
  • Nuitar
    Nuitar
    ✭✭✭
    Hit vr12, max your skills, then try again. If it isn't abundantly obvious, then this is a L2P issue. Melee builds don't hold a candle to light armor + resto/destro.
  • TetsuMaru
    TetsuMaru
    ✭✭✭
    Im an all heavy sword and board redgaurd who uses bow as oh. Im vr1 and uavent came across anything I couldn't handle. I have a feeling most people that play a staff dk are falling victim to memetics. They read here that the restodestro is the only way to go then set themselves up for frustration. Funny thing is.....I have never actually seen one of these staffers. Just hear about them here.
  • Elyna
    Elyna
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nuitar wrote: »
    Hit vr12, max your skills, then try again. If it isn't abundantly obvious, then this is a L2P issue. Melee builds don't hold a candle to light armor + resto/destro.

I could also say the "L2P" issue can be said for the DK running around with an overgrown stick. Every DK using that set up gets their face smashed in in a matter of seconds. Its a bad skill set and you should feel bad. And their little fart attacks dont do damage. I went against one as a vampire and he went down so easily. And now you'll say "BUT THAT ONE WAS JUST BAD" No, the skill set is bad. Every single DK using this build is useless.
  • Nuitar
    Nuitar
    ✭✭✭
    Start running trials and, unfortunately, you'll see why this build shines. It is meant for PVE, though some people do well in PVP with it (Fixate, rank31, being one).

Also, most people run a combination of resto/destro. Destro alone gives no self sustain outside of the DKs innate dragon blood.

I am assuming you are low VR / not VR which makes a lot of sense. As you max your passive skill lines the fire staff DK leaps up in terms of damage done.

That all being said, a build does not guarantee a win. I could beat most people 1v1 using class skills alone with no weapon equipped (NB).
  • infraction2008b16_ESO
    infraction2008b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    TetsuMaru wrote: »
    Im an all heavy sword and board redgaurd who uses bow as oh. Im vr1 and uavent came across anything I couldn't handle. I have a feeling most people that play a staff dk are falling victim to memetics. They read here that the restodestro is the only way to go then set themselves up for frustration. Funny thing is.....I have never actually seen one of these staffers. Just hear about them here.

You don't see them at VR1 areas because they are taking the easier route of speed levelling from craglorn anomalies a lot like they chose the easy route of picking the FoTM build because that's the mentality.
  • Elyna
    Elyna
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nuitar wrote: »

Alright, I'll give it another chance. What's your set up? When say setup I mean skills and attributes.
  • Natjur
    Natjur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Range build vs Melee. When you switch to 7 Light/dest, make sure you stay at range.

Range dps will always be > Melee
    But Range will also never be able to take the hits. (but with resto/destro, you can just heal through it)
    Edited by Natjur on June 8, 2014 9:27PM
  • IceDread
    IceDread
    ✭✭✭
    Because you do damage that is ether magica based or stamina based. Stamina builds are inferior to magica in every way.

Most class skills are magica based so why lower your own class ability damage by going something else than magica?
    Why would you pick up a sword instead of a staff when the staff skills also are based on magica?

This engine of Zenimax is really silly bad. As it stands today, stamina builds are inferior, do you want to be inferior or do you on par with the opponents of yours?

Also, with the soft cap on armor that you can reach rather esily, why wear anything else than light and possibly two pieces of heavy?

Thus, eso is effectively is the game light armor and rods.

The people behind this.. it's remarkable how badly they thought it through.
    Edited by IceDread on June 8, 2014 9:34PM
  • Thralgaf
    Thralgaf
    ✭✭✭
    Just because you don't want a build to be viable, doesn't make it so. This build is the best DPS in the game at the moment. I'm sorry this hurts your feelings, or pisses you off because your current two hand/one hand build comes no where as close. It's the simple truth, and will remain so until ZOS figures out how to make weapon builds viable.
  • Teargrants
    Teargrants
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Because this

So you tried this and just keep dying all the time? You're doing it so wrong.
    Edited by Teargrants on June 8, 2014 9:41PM
    POST EQVITEM SEDET ATRA CVRA
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
    EP ※ Teargrants ※
    EP ※ Kissgrants ※
    DC ※ Kirsi ※
    Vehemence Council
    #JustOutOfRenderRange
    ~Teargrants YouTube~
    ┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IceDread wrote: »
    Because you do damage that is ether magica based or stamina based. Stamina builds are inferior to magica in every way.

Most class skills are magica based so why lower your own class ability damage by going something else than magica?
    Why would you pick up a sword instead of a staff when the staff skills also are based on magica?

This engine of Zenimax is really silly bad. As it stands today, stamina builds are inferior, do you want to be inferior or do you on par with the opponents of yours?

Also, with the soft cap on armor that you can reach rather esily, why wear anything else than light and possibly two pieces of heavy?

Thus, eso is effectively is the game light armor and rods.

The people behind this.. it's remarkable how badly they thought it through.

Magicka build does not equal light armor and staff tho. My nightblade right now does not have a single weapon skill on the bar, and has all points in magicka, yet is using medium armor and dual daggers.
  • Phantorang
    Phantorang
    ✭✭✭✭

Well, thats not so weird if you only tried it for 2 min..

How many of the abilities from Destro staff did you actually try? 1 active and 1 passive if you only tried it a few times.

You need to level the staff up to at least 40 and you need to morph the active abilities and get the passives for it to be good.

You dont automatically get alot of dps by just wearing a destro staff, you need to use its abilities too... ;)
    Fimbulwinter Recruiting true Vikings | Campaigns score | EU PC
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because destro/resto staffs + light armor , is the best combo to any class.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • tilolyen_ESO
    tilolyen_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I will probably be kicking myself in the ass, but I use a resto staff / 1h shield all cloth DK and it is beyond obscenely OP. I have soloed every world boss and all group delves my level so far. I can even solo dark anchors my own level. I find it shockingly easy after playing my NB to VR10. Then again, playing blind in one eye, can't see out of the other with both arms tied behind my back would be easier then playing a NB, currently.
  • flintstone
    flintstone
    ✭✭✭
    I'll try the light build stuff down the road (I'm VR2 at the moment).....5 hev/2 lite. I'm using VR1 Warlock hat/pendent/ring and can solo just about anything except the really hard group stuff.

I have a VR8 Sorcerer also, but I like the Dragonknight better......a lot less sneaking around to get the kill.