The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

[SPOILER] [QUEST BUG] God of Schemes - Final Quest - Being Dropped by Molag Bal

Blackout_STi
I have stomached bug after bug. As have we all. I will rant later on about that, but this is the biggest, most upsetting thing I have had happen to date.

I am of course just past Coldharbour. Finally reached level V1. I have zero access to v1 Enchantments, so I decide to finish the final quest- defeating Molag Bal, in hopes that I will gain access to the V1 zone, and thus be able to purchase my much needed enchantments. BUT NO. I get to see the latest return on my dime (around $100 at least at this point)...

I start the quest fine. Get to his realm, perform the ritual. Turn into superman, melt through walls and one-shot kill everything in sight. Feeling real invincible- know what I mean? Then, the God of Schemes comes into view. Taunting me and trying to get me to back down.

I pause for a moment to shake my head and giggle at the armor that I was wearing (I think it is supposed to make me look like Akatosh?). I gather myself for the final... epic... battle...

I rush the steps, summoning every bit of courage I can muster. AHHHHHHHH!!!!!! (Battle Cry) I cross the point of no return- then, suddenly, I am pulled to the evil god's grip. Struggling and fighting for release, I hear the monster's roar! And I randomly fall into the water below and either die or continue to be shook up and down (as if I were still in his grip).

In the distance, Molag Bal is still roaring into his fist. Over, and over, and over... And I bounce up and down, and side to side. Into the water. Out of the water. Into the water. Out of the water. I cannot do anything. I cannot move. I cannot hit 'X' to use the special ability that I am suppose to be using... Nothing.

I was not given the cue to hit 'X' like I should have been. If fact, almost at the exact moment that I am supposed to use that special ability, I am dropped. I am stuck, on the big conclusion of the epic story you guys spent millions to make. Unable to progress, yet again, into the veteran zones.

What the heck is going on with you guys? Your company is being trash-talked repeatedly about buggy gameplay, quest-breaking bugs, bank bugs, bugs, bugs, bugs, and more bugs! After multiple patches and what I felt was a great effort to try to make the game playable, and at the very moment I should be thinking (wow, this game was almost worth the $100 I have spent, and the hundreds I will potentially spend playing in the future), I am slapped in the face with a giant wake up call that I will never be able to immerse myself in this game for more than 5 minutes. God almighty! Please! Fix this game. Let me finish 1 quest without being interrupted with flat-out unacceptable bugs.

Plenty of people have made it past this quest. My friends have in fact, which means this is either only happening to me, or your recent patch job broke it. I will post a YouTube link to the video of this disaster so you can better understand what is happening.
  • TheAmu
    TheAmu
    ✭✭✭
    Me too. Anyone know what to do?
  • gaiusbroseb16_ESO
    Just had the same bug. Will report to tech support, I guess. Might be a new bug, haven't heard about this one yet.
  • Spextor
    Spextor
    Soul Shriven
    Others are facing the same issue :

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/106354/quest-god-of-schemes

Including me :, (
  • gaiusbroseb16_ESO
    Yay :blush:
  • Blackout_STi
    I got a tip to map my controls back to default (in hopes of fixing the cue to use special grip-breaking ability). I did so, logged out, back in. Redid the quest for the fifth time, and nothing. Disabled addons. Nothing. If I sprint past the point where you get picked up, I can run around the area in front of him where I should be doing battle.

I've ported out, logged out, /stuck, /reloadui, and everything else I could think of. None of which had any affect.

I would like to get past this quest! As would the others here. Please, some insight...?

Opened a phone support ticket today: 140603-005194. Will post results. I'm sure this will be a known bug that is just not posted anywhere because it is only happening to certain players...
  • GaelenOraylee
    Similar experience. Different, though, in that when I first approached Molag Bal, he grabbed me and killed me immediately. I got no prompt to press any key. He dropped me into the water and I was given the opportunity to revive there. So I did and I was able to run around in the shallow water without being picked up again or getting aggro'd in any way. I tried /reloadui and it made no difference. So I logged out and back in. As I approached Molag Bal this second time, I experienced the bug detailed in the original post.

I've tried logging on to other characters then coming back to the bugged one, didn't help. I closed the game entirely and restarted, didn't help. I closed the game again and have run the Repair tool. Logging in after that, I was dumped outside of the Harborage. The quest is currently at the point where the other Companions have entered the portal, so they were standing there when I passed thru myself.

I'm going to play through the instance again and see if this has actually changed anything. I'm also going to submit a /bug report in game.

*ETA: So repairing just put me back where I started. He picks me up, killed me no matter what button I mashed, and I was allowed to revive but cannot engage him.
    Edited by GaelenOraylee on June 3, 2014 7:20PM
  • gaiusbroseb16_ESO
    Yep, there's nothing to do right now. Waiting for a patch.
  • Blackout_STi
    Still no reply to ticket. Gonna name drop to get some attention. Sorry ZOS staff :(@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_KaiSchober

EDIT:
    Here is the response I got for my ticket...

Greetings and Blessings from across Tamriel, brave adventurer!

Thank you for contacting The Elder Scrolls Online Team. I do apologize for the issue you are having with fighting Molag Bal. I can definitely understand how frustrating this can be for you at this time. No worries, my name is Herisha an I am here to help!

We are aware of the issue with Molag Bal's fight and we are working towards a fix for the issue.
    To work around this problem, we recommend that players leave the instance for about 20 minutes, zone to another map region, and then return to the Harborage to start the quest again.
    We also recommend selecting a different sacrifice from the one you originally selected.
    • If you selected Sai, choose Lyris or Varen
    • If you selected Varen, choose Lyris or Sai
    • If you selected Lyris, choose Varen or Sai
    If you continue to experience the issue, please let us know and we'll be happy to continue assisting you.
    Thank you for your continued interest and support!

Warm Regards,
    The Elder Scrolls Online Team
    Edited by Blackout_STi on June 4, 2014 12:40AM
  • gaiusbroseb16_ESO
    I did get an answer to mine: " This is a known issue and we are looking for a fix. Please check patch notes for updates. "
    Sooooo nothing new for now.
  • Adicon
    Adicon
    Seriously, I'm pretty much the last person in my guild to hit this point... I was so excited and #$^$%&%#. I've defended most of their problems with the game but WTF it's been out 2 months now and I get a game breaking progression bug like this when it should be the pinnacle of my ESO experience. I'm truly upset with this one.
  • Blackout_STi
    Yeah, how disappointing. The solutions I get from support usually have no effect whatsoever. I always say "Oh goodie, another thing to do while they try to figure out a way to actually fix this issue".

For example, I received a response from the support team regarding the transparency invisibility issues that were address with the last patch. They knew that some users had DirectX issues, yet they sent multiple troubleshooting steps to me (up until a couple hours before the patch was released) that were unnecessary since the issue was with the code itself. Everything from running selective startup to repairing the game. Every time I have an issue, the problem traces back to the source code (game) itself. If this doesn't change, I foresee this game tanking.

I have been told time and time again that this sort of thing happens all the time with MMOs. That's all fine and dandy, but the fact still remains that this game is not playable. I have never paid this much for a game before. Probably never will. Sickening really. Hopefully they don't shutdown the servers and file bankruptcy when/if they make their money back... I am genuinely worried that will happen. So many players have bailed on the game. Hard to think that this trend will reverse if they don't get their act together. *Stepping off soapbox

Hopefully see you guys in the Vet zones when/if they fix this!
  • mndfreeze
    mndfreeze
    ✭✭✭
    This just happened to me. I relogged and /quit multiple times and tried tons of variations of things to see if I could get him to not bug out but alas, no luck. Sometimes he would pick me up and I'd pop out of his hand like someone lathered my argonian hide in soap, then die from the fall. Other times I popped out and lived but he would just stand there, scripting stuck. And a few times he just held me forever, repeating his scream in my face over and over and voer and over infinitely. This is the first true GAME BREAKING bug I've come across and apparently its a whole lotta people.

Please fix asap Zenimax! I'm out of quests and out of stuff to do! Not to mention there just isn't enough volumes of the lusty argonian maid for this reptile.
  • mndfreeze
    mndfreeze
    ✭✭✭
    I tried everything posted here also, no go. Didn't matter who I sacrificed, didn't matter who I released and who I didn't from the area with mannimarco. Didn't matter how long I waited and tried again from the harborage or other zones. I even tried unequipping my weapon since its a staff just on the small chance it was some wierd clipping bug making me pop out of his hand. That did make me stop popping out of his hand and dying from the fall, but then he just did his never ending scream loop.
  • flashpg
    flashpg
    Soul Shriven
    Same here, get picked up and he constantly roars at me or he drops me and I float above the water. Bug reported and spoke to an advisor and he just said he will pass issue on to his boss as didn't have a clue lol. How frustrating to do all that hard work, get to Vet 1 and that's it........lol.
  • IronDragons
    IronDragons
    ✭✭
    Add me to the list. I got the same email from support - this is a known issue and we are working blah blah blah. I'm utterly amazed that they let this happen on arguably the coolest quest in the game. This is the first bugged quest I've encountered that has literally impeded my ability to progress.
  • russb7b14_ESO
    russb7b14_ESO
    ✭✭
    Same issue, molag ball drops me and i die.
    Vokundein
    Vada - Oathsworn of Vokundein
    Legend Gaming Website | Join Us
  • Araval
    Araval
    Soul Shriven
    same here... nice to see in patch notes that some sparkle effects on skills were editet but the damn progress(!) quests are still not working. nice priority list.
  • Taresha
    Taresha
    ✭✭
    Same here. Looks like a new bug. I haven't seen reports of this bug today morning and now everyone is screaming including me.
  • ColinDShotz
    ColinDShotz
    Soul Shriven
    Has anyone actually been able to find a work around for this? I mean it seems that no-one has been able to beat him. I am sure this is a priority but a date it will be fixed is not too much to ask

@ZOS_GinaBruno‌
  • BunkerPants
    BunkerPants
    Soul Shriven
    Anyone? Just hit this quest for the first time and I too have tried just about everything with no fix.
  • kly
    kly
    Soul Shriven
    Same issue. Either won't let me go, or I drop to my death.
  • kwisatz
    kwisatz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just did this quest yesterday and for me it goes just fine.
    Edited by kwisatz on June 23, 2014 4:51PM
  • BunkerPants
    BunkerPants
    Soul Shriven
    Just played through w/ new Hotfix worked for me, no issues....I would have thought that I would have leveled though all the way to 50 (seeing as I was about at the halfway mark on 49) and would have been granted a skill point or two (not given a single one)...

Maybe it is good enough that I got my character's soul back?

Thanks though for the fix!
  • Marthea
    Marthea
    ✭✭✭
    I just hit this same bug, so the hotfix did not work for me. He drops me, I die. Over and over. Never given the cue to hit X. Tried spamming it, nope, didn't do crap. Logged out and back in, same thing. Will try restarting the quest I guess. /sigh.
  • ColinDShotz
    ColinDShotz
    Soul Shriven
    On my 6th attempt I finally got lucky. No idea what I did differently so I guess just keep trying (dying) until the mechanics work like they're suppose to
  • XTHEY_call_ME_B
    XTHEY_call_ME_B
    Soul Shriven
    Same I can't talk to the survivors.. this is very very fustrating
  • SimbaLion
    SimbaLion
    Soul Shriven
    So this thread was created in June of 2014. Today is November 8th, 2015, and I'm experiencing the exact same game-breaking bug.

It's impossible to finish the main quest line because of this bug, and yet Zenisoft/Bethesda has not bothered to fix it in a year and a half. That's 17 months. But they have had time to develop and release an entire new zone as a pay-to-play DLC.

Bethesda/Zenisoft, I invite you to explain to me why do you think I would give you money for anything when the base game is unfinished?
  • Drunkensot
    Drunkensot
    ✭✭
    I cant finish it. i cant abandon the quest. How do I proceed?
  • baldylox
    baldylox
    Soul Shriven
    just got to molag bal and im getting prompts for a gamepad....on a pc with gamepad OFF. this is sooooooooo f'n stupid. 2 yrs and this keeps reoccuring.....
  • tirwen
    tirwen
    Soul Shriven
    I'm not getting dropped, just permanently held in midair. I received no prompt to use the skill. So this seems to be a recurring issue.