The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Heavy armor is so OP in 1.6

Dracane
Dracane
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
I am shocked, how strong heavy armor is now, compared to light armor.
Heavy armor gives you 5 times more armor than light armor and 3 times more spell resistance.

The spell cost difference between a full set of light armor and a full set of heavy armor is almost non existing. The difference is around 400 less Magicka cost for reflective scales, which is as good as nothing in 1.6. I was able to cast reflective scales 11 times with heavy armor and 13 times with light armor.

Tell me, where is the balance here ? Where is even the point in light armor anymore ? The spell penetration from light armor got basically removed and replaced with a 75% chance to trigger a low spell penetration on hit.

With heavy armor, I have over 18 000 spell resistance (withouth armor buffs) and the light armor passives gives me a bit over 900 spell penetration :) yes, niiiice (not)
Light armor does not even make spells more effective. It does't matter, if a 7 piece heavy armor castle casts conjured ward, or a squishy light armor user. The strenght is the same.

As it stands now, heavy armor will be the way to go, as it gives you tons of resistances. And light armor basically does not give a noticeable benefit with magic. I admit, I have not tested this in pvp so far. But many people already told: They don't stand a chance with light armor.
Auri-El is my lord,
Trinimac is my shield,
Magnus is my mind.
  • Iago
    Iago
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its still not as OP as the nerf Hammer (Bat) they swing at everything
    That which we obtain to cheap we esteem to lightly, it is dearness only that gives everything its value.

-Thomas Pain

• Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The bat almost turned light armor into an empty husk.
    Edited by Dracane on 28 January 2015 23:15
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Kilandros
    Kilandros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Dracane wrote: »

Meh, I'd rather see Heavy Armor OP than Light Armor OP.
    Invictus
    Kilandros - Dragonknight / Grand Overlord
    Deimos - Templar / Grand Warlord
    Sias - Sorcerer / Prefect
    Short answer is DKs likely won't be seeing a ton of changes before we go live; this class is still quite powerful (as it should be being a tank), even after some of the adjustments we've made to other classes and abilities.

DK IS NOT JUST A TANK CLASS. #PLAYTHEWAYYOUWANT
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kilandros wrote: »

Meh, I'd rather see Heavy Armor OP than Light Armor OP.

Ouch :( don't be against me. I thought, you were reasonable.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • dharbert
    dharbert
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's not OP, it's common sense. If someone is trying to kill you with a given weapon or skill, which is going to protect you more? Full plate armor, or a bathrobe? Working as it should...,
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dharbert wrote: »
    It's not OP, it's common sense. If someone is trying to kill you with a given weapon or skill, which is going to protect you more? Full plate armor, or a bathrobe? Working as it should...,

Indeed, i totally agree on that.
    But uhm... shouldn't light armor give you something ? Where is the point in wearing light armor at the moment ? There are miles between light armor and heavy armor resistance. But unfortunately not miles between the spell cost reduction and other benefits.

Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heavy Armor should give the most protection.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems like your people don't get me :) I 1000% percent agree, that heavy armor should give more protection.

But light armor must give noticeable benefits for magic. But it doesn't. I have tested it and light armor is simply underwhelming and not necessary anymore. Please put on a full set of heavy armor and a full set of light armor (same enchants and set pieces of course) You'll see, that there is no need in light armor anymore.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • s7732425ub17_ESO
    s7732425ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not understand why heavy armor also gives you the most amount of spell resist. The change is completely nonsensical.
  • Lachis
    Lachis
    Soul Shriven
    If you intend to have everyone understand what you are saying online, you are fighting an uphill battle. I'm fairly new to the game so If what I'm saying makes no sense I apologize:

What the OP is saying is not that it doesn't make sense that heavy armor provides more protection, he is basically saying armor classification is not balanced properly and Heavy Armor is clearly the best choice.

So that being said: What about the passives? Are the light armor passives really THAT bad in comparison to the defensive stats gained by wearing heavy armor lets say...for a sorc?
    Edited by Lachis on 29 January 2015 00:40
    Keep a pistol grip pump in my lap at all times.

PlsMoreB B C Yum - Leveling a sorc.
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not understand why heavy armor also gives you the most amount of spell resist. The change is completely nonsensical.

It does not make sense in my opinion. Heavy armor should give plenty of armor, but light armor should give plenty of magic resistance. But however. I am not mad, that heavy armor has op resistances now.

I am sad, that light armor gives you as good as nothing. :(
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • YstradClud
    YstradClud
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just means I can probably take a spell off my bar I have been using for this.
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't even understand, why people 'LOL' this topic :) it's the sad truth.
    What I am saying above is 100% true ^^
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Valen_Byte
    Valen_Byte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Light armor should give spell resist. and heavy should give resist to physical attks. I don't know why they would make your armor ratting and you spell resist the same. Heavy needed to be fixed but the spell resist doesn't make sense to me.
    ***Dixon Kay MagDK FORMER EMPEROR***Deca Dix MagDK FORMER EMPORER***Valonious MagPlar FORMER EMPEROR***
    GM of BYTE
    MAY YOUR DEATHS BE SWIFT, AND YOUR LOAD SCREENS LONG.
    And alien tears will fill for him, Pity’s long-broken urn, For his mourners will be outcast men, And outcasts always mourn
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cloth vs metal. Seems like they got it right
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • Forestd16b14_ESO
    Forestd16b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hmm let's do some skill looking here. Light armor sure gives less armor but is you know clothing but give you massive magical boost for DPSing and healing and all that wonderful stuff. Heavy armor on the other hand only help with defence who know help you live long as it's suppost to. But now as ESO is due to shield stacking and block casting LA players can make up any armor diffrence no problem. 1.6 is fixing it to were you wanna dish out awesome DPS go with light armor, wanna live and take as many arrows to the knees as Dovakin go with heavy armor, or want something in between go with medium armor.

But what I'm hearing is " I can't light armor tank in PVP anymore and I'm gonna cry till ZoS makes LA the only way to live in PVP again."

Gonna feel so good thrusting my big long hard great sword through all the skirt wearers who think they can just shield stack to live.
  • Dragath
    Dragath
    ✭✭✭✭
    why should bathrobes give you spell resist?
    new system is much better.
    light armor should have its bonus in mana reg and spell cost, and it does.
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm let's do some skill looking here. Light armor sure gives less armor but is you know clothing but give you massive magical boost for DPSing and healing and all that wonderful stuff. Heavy armor on the other hand only help with defence who know help you live long as it's suppost to. But now as ESO is due to shield stacking and block casting LA players can make up any armor diffrence no problem. 1.6 is fixing it to were you wanna dish out awesome DPS go with light armor, wanna live and take as many arrows to the knees as Dovakin go with heavy armor, or want something in between go with medium armor.

But what I'm hearing is " I can't light armor tank in PVP anymore and I'm gonna cry till ZoS makes LA the only way to live in PVP again."

Gonna feel so good thrusting my big long hard great sword through all the skirt wearers who think they can just shield stack to live.

No no no no O.O please tell me, where light armor does even increase your DPS ? It gives no bonus to damage. It gives a small spell penetration buff, but this is not worth to mention.

And as I said: Heavy armor users can use almost the same amount of spells. The big resistance difference is simply not justified. If light armor would give significant boost to magic usage, I would be as silent as a grave. But this is not the case.

So with your last sentence you wanna tell me: Nobody should even wear light armor anymore, because it shouldn't be a valid option anymore ?
    Edited by Dracane on 29 January 2015 00:17
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • SanderBuraas
    SanderBuraas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not tested it myself, but it does not make sense that a player using heavy armour is able to use spells at a similar rate of one that wears light armour. As for magic resistance, I don't think it's right that heavy armour benefits from big amounts of this - as it also contributes to lessen the usefulness of light armour, as have been said before.
  • Emencie
    Emencie
    ✭✭✭✭
    Valen_Byte wrote: »
    Light armor should give spell resist. and heavy should give resist to physical attks. I don't know why they would make your armor ratting and you spell resist the same. Heavy needed to be fixed but the spell resist doesn't make sense to me.
    Light armor giving the most magical resistance means it is the strongest tank against magical attacks.

80% of the player abilities in the game are Magical.

This is why everyone wore light armor. It was the best offensive and the best defensive.

Now Heavy is the best defensive. And as the OP demonstrated, light is still the best for magic attack/healing.

I see no problem here.
    Edited by Emencie on 29 January 2015 00:22
  • Messy1
    Messy1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Light armor should enhance spell ciritical and spell DPS . . . prob solved
  • Wifeaggro13
    Wifeaggro13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am shocked, how strong heavy armor is now, compared to light armor.
    Heavy armor gives you 5 times more armor than light armor and 3 times more spell resistance.

The spell cost difference between a full set of light armor and a full set of heavy armor is almost non existing. The difference is around 400 less Magicka cost for reflective scales, which is as good as nothing in 1.6. I was able to cast reflective scales 11 times with heavy armor and 13 times with light armor.

Tell me, where is the balance here ? Where is even the point in light armor anymore ? The spell penetration from light armor got basically removed and replaced with a 75% chance to trigger a low spell penetration on hit.

With heavy armor, I have over 18 000 spell resistance (withouth armor buffs) and the light armor passives gives me a bit over 900 spell penetration :) yes, niiiice (not)
    Light armor does not even make spells more effective. It does't matter, if a 7 piece heavy armor castle casts conjured ward, or a squishy light armor user. The strenght is the same.

As it stands now, heavy armor will be the way to go, as it gives you tons of resistances. And light armor basically does not give a noticeable benefit with magic. I admit, I have not tested this in pvp so far. But many people already told: They don't stand a chance with light armor.

Really now your gonna gripe that Heavy armor can now be used effectively in tanking? for the last year ive been tanking in light armor with the same hit points more spell resist and 50% mitigation while retaining all the crit and magica bonus i could dream of.

Lets just step back here Light you still get the magica bonus and crit. Its about time they did something about this it was a travesty they let it go on so long. it is test . if the magica retention is too high im sure it will get adjusted. And you should not stand a chance in PVE with light armor and pvp if your a mage build you should not be on the front line acting with impunity to physical attacks. there are no armor restrictions in this game. trhow on heavy and your no longer squishy. But if your pissed you wont be able to tank VR dungeons or Trials then i dont know what to tell you. Light was so OP for a year Heavy so broken it needed the buffs.
  • Bouvin
    Bouvin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Where are the heavy penalties to Dodge Roll, Movement Speed, and Sprint Cost for heavy armor users then?
  • OrangeTheCat
    OrangeTheCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bouvin wrote: »

Where are the heavy penalties to Dodge Roll, Movement Speed, and Sprint Cost for heavy armor users then?

And I bet you can still swim in that heavy armor too :neutral_face:
    And cast electricity spells in it without getting shocked :astonished:
    Edited by OrangeTheCat on 29 January 2015 00:36
  • Forestd16b14_ESO
    Forestd16b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

No no no no O.O please tell me, where light armor does even increase your DPS ? It gives no bonus to damage. It gives a small spell penetration buff, but this is not worth to mention.

And as I said: Heavy armor users can use almost the same amount of spells. The big resistance difference is simply not justified. If light armor would give significant boost to magic usage, I would be as silent as a grave. But this is not the case.

So with your last sentence you wanna tell me: Nobody should even wear light armor anymore, because it shouldn't be a valid option anymore ?

Who said physical damage? LA give massive boost to magicka base skills with spell crit increase and decrease how much magicka you consume and last time I checked most skills need magicka and not stamina (changing in 1.6). So endless spamming flame lash or blazing shield or fire rings that only cost like 100 magicka after you factor in all the LA and other decrease magic consuming stuff does equal to massive DPS. Also you can stacks LA boost to spell crit with mage light and I assuming crit trait you have on the staff too that's at least 45% or 50% crit chance so that's even more damage. LA can generate alot of DPS most DPS player I go with in delves are LA users with destruction staffs I rarely run into any DPS that wears medium armor and uses a melee or bow. So if anything medium armor needs buffed too.

Also to answer LA with still be a valid choice just can't be a LA tank as so many are now. Which translate to no more needing 10 players to kill one guy in light armor.

Heavy armor = good defence,
    Light armor = good Magical DPS,
    Medium armor = good physical DPS, ok defence, ok magical DPS.
    Or you can mix and match.
  • Khaleer
    Khaleer
    ✭✭
    It's ok that heavy armor gives you the best protection, but it should incrase your stamina- and magicka costs. Medium armor should do nothing to it, while light armor should lower the costs in a way that matters.
  • nimander99
    nimander99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Where are the heavy penalties to Dodge Roll, Movement Speed, and Sprint Cost for heavy armor users then?[/quote]

That is a legit question... still its going to be wonderful to not see light armored destr staff wielding vamps everywhere...
    I AM UPDATING MY PRIVACY POLICY

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

∽∽∽ 2 years of Elder Scrolls Online ∼∼∼
    "Give us money" = Box sales & monthly sub fees,
    "moar!" = £10 palomino horse,
    "MOAR!" = Switch to B2P, launch cash shop,
    "MOAR!!" = Charge for DLC that subs had already paid for,
    "MOAR!!!" = Experience scrolls and riding lessons,
    "MOARR!!!" = Vampire/werewolf bites,
    "MOAARRR!!!" = CS exclusive motifs,
    "MOOAARRR!!!" = Crown crates,
    "MOOOAAARRR!!!" = 'Chapter's' bought separately from ESO+,
    "MOOOOAAAARRRR!!!!" = ???

Male, Dunmer, VR16, Templar, Aldmeri Dominion, Master Crafter & all Traits, CP450
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    GUISE Heavy Armor actually acts as Heavy Armor now....Freak out and pretend as if its OP.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • eliisra
    eliisra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't tested heavy on PTS yet. But if true, we'll see 99% heavy tanky battle mages and healers in PvP, due to light being kaput lol.

Majority will always go for the most effective combination, caring little about lore. archetypes or immersion. Right now we have way to many tanks in robes, but not sure if mandatory tin-man casters is the solution.

If heavy can get sustained close to light and also offers superior survivability, there's no reason wearing light for anything other than glass-house PvE spec's. I wont cry extensively over my lost robes tho, since heavy looks sort of better.
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Indeed, i totally agree on that.
    But uhm... shouldn't light armor give you something ? Where is the point in wearing light armor at the moment ? There are miles between light armor and heavy armor resistance. But unfortunately not miles between the spell cost reduction and other benefits.

They have no idea how to implement armor. Heavy armor should give vastly superior protection compared to light armor but should also make you slower, almost impossible to stealth and have a penalty to stamina penalties to defensive maneuvers and sprinting. Light armor should give almost no protection but let you move fast, stealth easily and no stamina penalty. Medium armor should be somewhere in between the two but closer to light armor than heavy. The fact that we can mix and match armor types would complicate things but with a detailed enough system it could have worked well and been intuitive, like leg armor affecting your run/sprint speed a lot more than helmet or arms.

I have no idea where they came up with the idea of magicka, stamina and health bonuses instead. I mean why on earth does medium armor benefit your stamina? Yeah an enchantment could but the armor itself shouldn't.

Ideally the armor types would have had various STR requirements too but of course they went with the dumbed-down Skyrim attribute system. Nothing about the current implementation of armor makes any sense whatsoever and 1.6 only partially corrects it.

I might even argue that the different armor types should affect your combat speed - swinging weapons, drawing bows and casting spells. Heavy armor is a lot more cumbersome than light and should make you slower. Not by a large amount but it should be a consideration when choosing armor types.
    Edited by Holycannoli on 29 January 2015 00:51
This discussion has been closed.